Re: KF1Z is now sole distributor of Genesis kits

  • sq1res
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
      A few words about the G59. If the G59 is no longer sold, so it may be the solution to GenesisRadio could publish G59 full documentation (schematics, PCB design files, PIC software) for non-commercial use only. Each ham could make/order PCB in other PCB manufacturer, complete the parts and build the G59. I have G11 ("upgraded" to multiband 80m - 6m) so I do not need a G59, but I see that many people are still interested in G59.

      Vy73 Jarek SQ1RES
      ============================
      http://www.qrz.com/db/sq1res
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
        But,

        I should also quote Nick's earlier message....

        "
        Ironically I do have *heaps* of parts in stock which would probably be enough to
        produce more G59s. Unfortunately I have no time to pack and ship components
        but if there is enough interest, we can get more PCBs made and send them to Bruce.
        The price will depend on production qty per batch but realistically it will have to be $400 - $500 per kit."

        So it is not quite correct ( or appropriate)  for me to say G59 is dead and buried..  Smile
        I have only seen 3 or 4 remarks on here, and received 5 or 6 emails RE G59 availability....
        So for anyone to say 'many' people still want to build them MAY be a little far-fetched.

        To do another run of these kits would require at LEAST 50 people ready to purchase G59/GPA10 kits.

        Making a small number available ( 50 or less ) would be very expensive.

        But, at this point,
        I would say, if you DO have interest in G59/GPA10 kits... yes, let it be known, but at the same time
        be patient... and don't try to read between the lines too much. Smile

        You never know WHAT might happen.  Smile

        Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 10:27 AM
        Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] Re: KF1Z is now sole distributor of Genesis kits

        Products come and go.

        G59 is going....  G6 is coming.

        G40, G3020 etc came and went,  G11 came to replace them.

        RE: G11 band limitation.
        Most operators ( especially QRPers) after they have been on the air a while, develop favorite bands.
        And don't need a 160-6 meter transceiver.

        For me.. just as example, never operate 160meters, 12 meters or 6 meters.  very rarely on 17m.
        So a G11 or two, fit the bill just fine.  Smile

        But, understandably, many want full 160 through 6 meter coverage.

        I suggest not rushing into any decisions, keep an eye on the group, and as you have done, post your request for a kit.
        They do come along, people change their minds, or decide they don't have 50 – 60 hours to build a kit.

        And, in the meantime, maybe there will be developments that change things up a bit. Smile

        Those that have been watching the group know that G59 didn't just now become unavailable, as the announcement was made in February
        that production would stop.

      • Dave Watson
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012

          Mine won't be here until the 6th. Although it is already in my town... :-( It's taking longer to get across town than it took to get here from Bruce's location...

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012

            Who is working on the G6?

            It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.

            Dave (W4DJW)

            Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 9:34 AM

            I hate to camp on this thread, but maybe it's a good thing and we can generate some interest. I too am very disappointed! I joined this list last week, to start preparing to buy a G59, GPA10 and hopefully a case. I've been a ham for 18 months, and was waiting to get a bit more experience and finish up some other projects. I realize the G11 is in production, but I'm having trouble getting as excited over it considering the band limitations. There are others out there, that perhaps aren't as good, but w/o the band limitation. No slam meant here at all, just my perspective.

            I haven't dug through the achieves yet, to see how often unbuilt kits come up for sale, but did see one on eham or qrz a number of months ago. Guess I should have grabbed it then. ;o)

            Sorry if anything I said is skewed since I'm new here. I'm not quite sure about the whole history of how or why the G59 went out of production, though it sounds like it was a mix of sales volume and profit margin. But, I'm very curious about the real story, and what the future plans are via the new distributor. Maybe a timeline or information page on the group web site would be in order, so that this type of topic doesn't get rehashed over and over when a newbie like myself comes along?

            So, before I go, take note... If anybody has a kit they haven't started or haven't finished, and are thinking of selling, drop me a line. LOL I guess for now, I may consider one that's fully finished as well, depending on the price. I've already emailed the guy who posted yesterday that he's considering selling his G59 that he just finished.

            73's

            Harry KD8PQK

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
              Hi Dave,

              > Who is working on the G6?
              > It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.
              > Dave (W4DJW)

              The same team fm GenesisRadio: YU1LM, YT7PWR and my self (YU1OL)...
              work in progress

              Best regards,
              Bat, YU1OL
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                Tasa, YU1LM  is the Genesis hardware designer.

                Yes, well.... assumptions.....

                It is a good thing not to try to read more into posts, than is really there.

                Smile

                When information on products is available, it is posted.

                G6 is very complicated compared to G59/GPA10 and G11.
                It will take some time to get it all correct.
                ( likely more complicated than flex 5000, since it covers to 450mhz or so)

                Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 5:31 PM

                Who is working on the G6?

                It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.

                Dave (W4DJW)

                  Got mine too, Friday.  Very nice.  Well worth the money.
                  Thanks to Bruce for taking on this project.  Makes it almost like having Heathkit back.  I am thankful to all in the ham community who contribute to making kits available.

                  Milo, KF5GCF