Re: [GenesisRadio] KF1Z is now sole distributor of Genesis kits

  • Don Lauder
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2012
      Hi Nick,

      I understand that your watch business is now taking up all your time, but, before all is lost, is it possible to put together two 'bag of bits' (i.e. Kits without the boards) for the G59?

      Martin and I bought boards from you a few months ago. I have been sourcing parts from many distributers but none can supply all in one go. A very soul destroying exercise!!

      I am also having trouble finding 58.18MHz crystals - doesn't seem to be a 'standard' easily available, off the shelf item. I have noticed that other various components (capacitors in particular) are getting hard to find in the "thru the hole" format. (The reason for product development.)

      However, since this is Martin and my first attempt at SDR, we are off to a very shaky start due to lack of availability of critical parts, or the requirement to by large quantity of parts.

      If a 'bag of bits' is not available, we may have wasted our time and money.

      Don Lauder

      ZL2LDX
      ZL2KIWI

      On 1/07/2012, at 12:13 PM, VK2DX wrote:

      Hi all,

      as of July 2012, Bruce KF1Z is now official  and only distributor for Genesis kits.

      This include US/Canada and the rest of the world.

      To place your order please visit his website:

      We have plenty of G11 boards in stock which will be shipped to Bruce on Monday.
      He will then complete G11 kits and ship to you directly.

      NOTE:  G11 kits ordered from me directly prior to July 2012. will be on their way on Monday.

      Once again, to place an order use KF1Z website.

      In addition, I still have number of GPA10 boards in stock which I will pass to Bruce.
      He will do his best to keep GPA10 in production as long as there is sufficient interest.

      More information re G6 production to follow.

      73 Nick VK2DX

    • VK2DX
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi Don-

        the reason why we offer 'partial kit' is because people have asked for it.
        Basically, some builders wanted to build G59 without paying our price and that was fair enough.
        In order to assist them we released number of  'partial kits' knowing upfront that
        we are wasting our opportunity to make profit.

        It would be unfair to blame Genesis for giving you the opportunity to put together first-class SDR transceiver
        for investment of $100 for core components.

        Now that G59 is no longer available, your board is actually worth more than what you've paid for it
        so you've made good commercial decision. I am sure there are number of builders out there who
        would gladly pay your price.

        Ironically I do have *heaps* of parts in stock which would probably be enough to
        produce more G59s. Unfortunately I have no time to pack and ship components
        but if there is enough interest, we can get more PCBs made and send them to Bruce.
        The price will depend on production qty per batch but realistically it will have to be $400 - $500 per kit.

        I believe our biggest mistake was our price; we've sold ourselves too cheap.

        For some strange reason, I always believed that if we offer kit at low price, we'll sell more
        but this was wrong assumption. The perfect example is  G11: the production cost
        of PCB + components+delivery + import tax to VK is close to $200 not including shipping to US yet we still sell it for $299.

        The truth is simple: either we pay for privilege to play with SDR, free software updates and
        production of new model or we go out of business.

        We can't have it both ways.

        I am personally very grateful to Bruce for all his efforts and only piece of advice I can offer to him is this:
        charge more!

        For those who are still not convinced: check out K2 Elecraft price list: $739 for classic radio, QRP, CW only. SSB option: extra $120 !

        73 Nick VK2DX

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1, 2012
          It's a shame about G59 no longer being available. I've been following this group and trying to decide which kit to get. That is once I finish and get some experience with a Softrock kit. I actually liked the idea of the G59 better since it covered more bands instead of band groups.

          73's Dave KB9GPM

        • roberto.doro@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1, 2012
            Yes, it is a shame.

            I also have a K2 and a SDR receiver but I would like to build a G59 also transmit on our bands.

            Roberto IZ3CAN

            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "goofy_36" <goofy_36@...> wrote:

            > It's a shame about G59 no longer being available. I've been following this group and trying to decide which kit to get. That is once I finish and get some experience with a Softrock kit. I actually liked the idea of the G59 better since it covered more bands instead of band groups.
            >
            > 73's Dave KB9GPM
            >

            > --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "VK2DX" <nick@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all,
            > >
            > > as of July 2012, Bruce KF1Z is now official and only distributor for Genesis kits.
            > >
            > > This include US/Canada and the rest of the world.
            > >
            > > To place your order please visit his website:
            > > http://www.greenmountainradio.com/G11/order.html
            > >
            > > We have plenty of G11 boards in stock which will be shipped to Bruce on Monday.
            > > He will then complete G11 kits and ship to you directly.
            > >
            > > NOTE: G11 kits ordered from me directly prior to July 2012. will be on their way on Monday.
            > >
            > > Once again, to place an order use KF1Z website.
            > >
            > > In addition, I still have number of GPA10 boards in stock which I will pass to Bruce.
            > > He will do his best to keep GPA10 in production as long as there is sufficient interest.
            > >
            > > More information re G6 production to follow.
            > >
            > > 73 Nick VK2DX

          • rOn
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
              Received my G11 enclosure today and assembled it.  For me
              it's a winner.  Fit and finish great and makes G11 look professional.
              Just be aware to position the internal bracket which is drilled to allow
              the head of the grounding bolt winds up in  the back!

              rOn
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 3, 2012
                That was quick!

                Smile

                Working on some assembly hints now..

                Bruce

              • hharker@cisnet.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                  I hate to camp on this thread, but maybe it's a good thing and we can generate some interest. I too am very disappointed! I joined this list last week, to start preparing to buy a G59, GPA10 and hopefully a case. I've been a ham for 18 months, and was waiting to get a bit more experience and finish up some other projects. I realize the G11 is in production, but I'm having trouble getting as excited over it considering the band limitations. There are others out there, that perhaps aren't as good, but w/o the band limitation. No slam meant here at all, just my perspective.

                  I haven't dug through the achieves yet, to see how often unbuilt kits come up for sale, but did see one on eham or qrz a number of months ago. Guess I should have grabbed it then. ;o)

                  Sorry if anything I said is skewed since I'm new here. I'm not quite sure about the whole history of how or why the G59 went out of production, though it sounds like it was a mix of sales volume and profit margin. But, I'm very curious about the real story, and what the future plans are via the new distributor. Maybe a timeline or information page on the group web site would be in order, so that this type of topic doesn't get rehashed over and over when a newbie like myself comes along?

                  So, before I go, take note... If anybody has a kit they haven't started or haven't finished, and are thinking of selling, drop me a line. LOL I guess for now, I may consider one that's fully finished as well, depending on the price. I've already emailed the guy who posted yesterday that he's considering selling his G59 that he just finished.

                  73's
                  Harry KD8PQK

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Products come and go.

                    G59 is going....  G6 is coming.

                    G40, G3020 etc came and went,  G11 came to replace them.

                    RE: G11 band limitation.
                    Most operators ( especially QRPers) after they have been on the air a while, develop favorite bands.
                    And don't need a 160-6 meter transceiver.

                    For me.. just as example, never operate 160meters, 12 meters or 6 meters.  very rarely on 17m.
                    So a G11 or two, fit the bill just fine.  Smile

                    But, understandably, many want full 160 through 6 meter coverage.

                    I suggest not rushing into any decisions, keep an eye on the group, and as you have done, post your request for a kit.
                    They do come along, people change their minds, or decide they don't have 50 – 60 hours to build a kit.

                    And, in the meantime, maybe there will be developments that change things up a bit. Smile

                    Those that have been watching the group know that G59 didn't just now become unavailable, as the announcement was made in February
                    that production would stop.

                    I also have a K2 and a SDR receiver but I would like to build a G59 also transmit on our bands.

                    Roberto IZ3CAN

                    --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "goofy_36" <goofy_36@...> wrote:

                    > It's a shame about G59 no longer being available. I've been following this group and trying to decide which kit to get. That is once I finish and get some experience with a Softrock kit. I actually liked the idea of the G59 better since it covered more bands instead of band groups.
                    >
                    > 73's Dave KB9GPM
                    >

                    > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "VK2DX" <nick@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > as of July 2012, Bruce KF1Z is now official and only distributor for Genesis kits.
                    > >
                    > > This include US/Canada and the rest of the world.
                    > >
                    > > To place your order please visit his website:
                    > > http://www.greenmountainradio.com/G11/order.html
                    > >
                    > > We have plenty of G11 boards in stock which will be shipped to Bruce on Monday.
                    > > He will then complete G11 kits and ship to you directly.
                    > >
                    > > NOTE: G11 kits ordered from me directly prior to July 2012. will be on their way on Monday.
                    > >
                    > > Once again, to place an order use KF1Z website.
                    > >
                    > > In addition, I still have number of GPA10 boards in stock which I will pass to Bruce.
                    > > He will do his best to keep GPA10 in production as long as there is sufficient interest.
                    > >
                    > > More information re G6 production to follow.
                    > >
                    > > 73 Nick VK2DX

                  • sq1res
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                      A few words about the G59. If the G59 is no longer sold, so it may be the solution to GenesisRadio could publish G59 full documentation (schematics, PCB design files, PIC software) for non-commercial use only. Each ham could make/order PCB in other PCB manufacturer, complete the parts and build the G59. I have G11 ("upgraded" to multiband 80m - 6m) so I do not need a G59, but I see that many people are still interested in G59.

                      Vy73 Jarek SQ1RES
                      ============================
                      http://www.qrz.com/db/sq1res
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                        But,

                        I should also quote Nick's earlier message....

                        "
                        Ironically I do have *heaps* of parts in stock which would probably be enough to
                        produce more G59s. Unfortunately I have no time to pack and ship components
                        but if there is enough interest, we can get more PCBs made and send them to Bruce.
                        The price will depend on production qty per batch but realistically it will have to be $400 - $500 per kit."

                        So it is not quite correct ( or appropriate)  for me to say G59 is dead and buried..  Smile
                        I have only seen 3 or 4 remarks on here, and received 5 or 6 emails RE G59 availability....
                        So for anyone to say 'many' people still want to build them MAY be a little far-fetched.

                        To do another run of these kits would require at LEAST 50 people ready to purchase G59/GPA10 kits.

                        Making a small number available ( 50 or less ) would be very expensive.

                        But, at this point,
                        I would say, if you DO have interest in G59/GPA10 kits... yes, let it be known, but at the same time
                        be patient... and don't try to read between the lines too much. Smile

                        You never know WHAT might happen.  Smile

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012

                          Mine won't be here until the 6th. Although it is already in my town... :-( It's taking longer to get across town than it took to get here from Bruce's location...

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012

                            Who is working on the G6?

                            It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.

                            Dave (W4DJW)

                            I also have a K2 and a SDR receiver but I would like to build a G59 also transmit on our bands.

                            Roberto IZ3CAN

                            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "goofy_36" <goofy_36@...> wrote:

                            > It's a shame about G59 no longer being available. I've been following this group and trying to decide which kit to get. That is once I finish and get some experience with a Softrock kit. I actually liked the idea of the G59 better since it covered more bands instead of band groups.
                            >
                            > 73's Dave KB9GPM
                            >

                            > --- In mailto:GenesisRadio%40yahoogroups.com, "VK2DX" <nick@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi all,
                            > >
                            > > as of July 2012, Bruce KF1Z is now official and only distributor for Genesis kits.
                            > >
                            > > This include US/Canada and the rest of the world.
                            > >
                            > > To place your order please visit his website:
                            > > http://www.greenmountainradio.com/G11/order.html
                            > >
                            > > We have plenty of G11 boards in stock which will be shipped to Bruce on Monday.
                            > > He will then complete G11 kits and ship to you directly.
                            > >
                            > > NOTE: G11 kits ordered from me directly prior to July 2012. will be on their way on Monday.
                            > >
                            > > Once again, to place an order use KF1Z website.
                            > >
                            > > In addition, I still have number of GPA10 boards in stock which I will pass to Bruce.
                            > > He will do his best to keep GPA10 in production as long as there is sufficient interest.
                            > >
                            > > More information re G6 production to follow.
                            > >
                            > > 73 Nick VK2DX

                          • YU1OL - Bratislav Miljkovic
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                              Hi Dave,

                              > Who is working on the G6?
                              > It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.
                              > Dave (W4DJW)

                              The same team fm GenesisRadio: YU1LM, YT7PWR and my self (YU1OL)...
                              work in progress

                              Best regards,
                              Bat, YU1OL
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 4, 2012
                                Tasa, YU1LM  is the Genesis hardware designer.

                                Yes, well.... assumptions.....

                                It is a good thing not to try to read more into posts, than is really there.

                                Smile

                                When information on products is available, it is posted.

                                G6 is very complicated compared to G59/GPA10 and G11.
                                It will take some time to get it all correct.
                                ( likely more complicated than flex 5000, since it covers to 450mhz or so)

                                Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2012 5:31 PM

                                Who is working on the G6?

                                It's good to know it is still a work in progress... I incorrectly assumed it was being dropped too.

                                Dave (W4DJW)

                                  Got mine too, Friday.  Very nice.  Well worth the money.
                                  Thanks to Bruce for taking on this project.  Makes it almost like having Heathkit back.  I am thankful to all in the ham community who contribute to making kits available.

                                  Milo, KF5GCF