Setup G11 for HRD and DM780

  • rad35758
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2012
      Hi All,

      I am trying to setup the G11 to use HDR and DM780. If anyone has done this before, I sure would like some input.

      I got it to work but I had to setup DM780 to use VAC line 2 ( G11 output) as input and my laptop headphone jack as output. VAC line 1 (G11 input) was in use ( maybe by HDR?) and when selected as output, caused the transmit functions to be greyed out. When I selected speakers as the output, I could hear the modulation, so I unplugged the transmit audio in to the G11 from the soundcard and replaced it with a cable to my laptop headphone jack. The PTT is controlled through the com port. When I transmitted (text) the power meter showed output power. Does anybody setup like this or is there a better way?

      The problem is that the headphone output only has enough amplitude to generate what looks like 5Watts on the power meter with BPSK modulation. I think BPSK is a constant carrier and changes the phase for 1's and 0's and I should be getting 10W on transmit. I was transmitting 10W on tune from the soundcard output before I replaced it with headset audio. Can some one set me straight on this? Am I getting the full 10Watts power out of the G11?

      Rodney
      AK4PR
    • Robert Fish
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2012
        Hi Rodney,
        I am using a G11 with HRD and DM780 (logbook too). It seems to work fine. However, I am using them on a Desktop PC with Win 7 64 and my sound card is an Xonar STX. So audio out is not an issue for me.
        I would be happy to compare your settings to mine.

        If you are getting 10 watts when using tune, then your soundcard has plenty of poop. Leave your soundcard hooked up that way with "real audio cables" that you hooked up between your G11 and your laptop.
        Do the audio voltage check and setting, and leave it alone. (do the PA settings as well)

        As for the VACs. Those are imaginary or "virtual " cables for passing audio between software programs. So for you, you need to install a VAC program and open two channels. Each of these channels carries audio (in digital form)
        in one direction. For receive, you want the output of the GSDR to send audio to DM780. Put this on VAC channel 1 (In GSDR you select VAC 1 for its output, and DM780 select VAC 1 for it's input). For transmit, You want DM780
        to send audio to GSDR. Put this on VAC channel 2 (In GSDR you select VAC 2 for its input, and DM780 select VAC 2 for it's output).

        You also need to key the radio when you transmit. For this task, you can use a Virtual serial port. This is an imaginary cable between software programs that carries serial data. I use VSP manager. So install one of the virtual serial port programs
        and select a channel for your PTT switching in both DM780 and GSDR. It sounds like you have this part working already. You have to select a different virtual serial port than the one you are using for cat control.

        That's basically it. Mine seems to work fine, I use it almost daily in digital modes (PSK31, RTTY etc, I even had an Olivia and a Throb contact recently).

        Let me know if you want me to take screen shots of my setup pages and e-mail them to you. Happy to do it.

        Good Luck,

        Bob  K6GGO

[...]

      • Hank
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2012
          Rodney,

          Yes I have this working quite well but I am away from my setup right now and will send you some print screens this evening of my settings. You are on the right track. I use VAC settings in GSDR having the output from VAC as input in HDR/DM780 and Output from HDR/DM780 on the input to VAC.

          You should be able to use the audio card output voltage adjustment in GSDR to allow your low output level of the audio card drive GSDR to 10W. Use the instructions testing the AC voltage from your sound output of the laptop. Instructions are in the G11 calibrations for setting max audio card output are on Genesis site under G11 TX Adjustment by KF1Z put together by Bruce at http://genesisradio.com.au/G11/G11_TX_%20CAL.pdf

          73,

          Hank
          WZ3HMT

          --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rad35758" <rodney@...> wrote:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > I am trying to setup the G11 to use HDR and DM780. If anyone has done this before, I sure would like some input.
          >
          > I got it to work but I had to setup DM780 to use VAC line 2 ( G11 output) as input and my laptop headphone jack as output. VAC line 1 (G11 input) was in use ( maybe by HDR?) and when selected as output, caused the transmit functions to be greyed out. When I selected speakers as the output, I could hear the modulation, so I unplugged the transmit audio in to the G11 from the soundcard and replaced it with a cable to my laptop headphone jack. The PTT is controlled through the com port. When I transmitted (text) the power meter showed output power. Does anybody setup like this or is there a better way?
          >
          > The problem is that the headphone output only has enough amplitude to generate what looks like 5Watts on the power meter with BPSK modulation. I think BPSK is a constant carrier and changes the phase for 1's and 0's and I should be getting 10W on transmit. I was transmitting 10W on tune from the soundcard output before I replaced it with headset audio. Can some one set me straight on this? Am I getting the full 10Watts power out of the G11?
          >
          > Rodney
          > AK4PR

        • Rodney Durrett
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2012
            Hi Bob, Hi Hank,

            I have tried setting up VAC in both GSDR (input = 1, output = 2) and MD780 (input = 2, output = 1). When I do this the level slider in the Soundcard -> Transmit window in DM780 is greyed out.   It's like VAC will not allow DM780 to use Line 1. The VAC Control Panel shows both VAC lines are in use. I don't see any activity on VAC Line 1 in the Windows audio devices, but I do on VAC Line 2.  I have tried several things including installing the 4.11 version of VAC. I am using DM780 v5.11. Windows 7.

            The VAC configuration is the same as I used for WSPR and it worked great there.

            If you don't mind, send me some screen shots. VAC Control panel, DM780 options, and GSDR General and Audio setup screens. I have changed every thing that i think that has any thing to do with it but nothing seems to help. I must have something setup wrong.

            Rodney
            AK4PR

            On May 1, 2012, at 11:57 AM, "Hank" <hank@...> wrote:

            Rodney,

            Yes I have this working quite well but I am away from my setup right now and will send you some print screens this evening of my settings. You are on the right track. I use VAC settings in GSDR having the output from VAC as input in HDR/DM780 and Output from HDR/DM780 on the input to VAC.

            You should be able to use the audio card output voltage adjustment in GSDR to allow your low output level of the audio card drive GSDR to 10W. Use the instructions testing the AC voltage from your sound output of the laptop. Instructions are in the G11 calibrations for setting max audio card output are on Genesis site under G11 TX Adjustment by KF1Z put together by Bruce at http://genesisradio.com.au/G11/G11_TX_%20CAL.pdf

            73,

            Hank
            WZ3HMT

            --- In GenesisRadio@yahoogroups.com, "rad35758" <rodney@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            >
            > I am trying to setup the G11 to use HDR and DM780. If anyone has done this before, I sure would like some input.
            >
            > I got it to work but I had to setup DM780 to use VAC line 2 ( G11 output) as input and my laptop headphone jack as output. VAC line 1 (G11 input) was in use ( maybe by HDR?) and when selected as output, caused the transmit functions to be greyed out. When I selected speakers as the output, I could hear the modulation, so I unplugged the transmit audio in to the G11 from the soundcard and replaced it with a cable to my laptop headphone jack. The PTT is controlled through the com port. When I transmitted (text) the power meter showed output power. Does anybody setup like this or is there a better way?
            >
            > The problem is that the headphone output only has enough amplitude to generate what looks like 5Watts on the power meter with BPSK modulation. I think BPSK is a constant carrier and changes the phase for 1's and 0's and I should be getting 10W on transmit. I was transmitting 10W on tune from the soundcard output before I replaced it with headset audio. Can some one set me straight on this? Am I getting the full 10Watts power out of the G11?
            >
            > Rodney
            > AK4PR

          • Hank
            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2012
              Rodney,

              In folder WZ3HMT under the files section I posted screen prints in a PDF with my GSDR - HRD - DM780 settings. I am sure there is room for improvement but the settings I am using seem to work for me. I used DM780 go get a QSO with VK2DX, Nick with my G59 and a 50W home made amp. I also use DM780 for PSK, Olivia, and RTTY also. Really a good piece of software.

              Hope these settings help you and anyone else that care to look at them. I got most of the information from reading Dusan's postings on Genesis site at http://www.genesisradio.com.au/yt1dl so it is not anything I came up with on my own.

              73,
              Hank
              WZ3HMT