Re: [GenesisRadio] GPA10 Phase 3 Output

  • Bruce Greenleaf KF1Z
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
      Did you do the PA Settings... Gain by band...
      And the Soundcard Output Voltage setting?

      Check each band relays on gpa10, make sure the correct relays are energizing for each band
      .

      Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [GenesisRadio] GPA10 Phase 3 Output

      I just verified with my dinky wattmeter the following (just pressing the
      tune button in GSDR):

      160m: no output
      80m: ~1 - 2W
      60m: ~4W
      40m: ~4W
      30m: no output
      20m: no output
      17m: ~2 - 3W
      15m: ~5W
      12m: ~5W
      10m: ~10W
      6m: ~2 - 3W

      Again, the wattmeter is on my MFJ-949E tuner and is *not* calibrated.
      However, it is showing me that, relative to other bands, 160, 30, and
      20m are not transmitting.

      I have been concerned about 20 and 30m for some time - since before
      starting the GPA10. I need to go back and check all the components in
      the BPF for those bands. Might even have a bad component although I'm
      not sure how to test other than just replacing components. It would be
      really nice to have an o'scope for signal tracing although... I guess I
      could take a probe, connect to my FT857 with padding and listen for
      where the signal changes (if it does indeed change). Honestly, I'm
      grabbing at anything right now. Sorry, I'm thinking out loud. If
      anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

      Joel - W4JBB

      On 9/3/2011 10:47 AM, Joel Black wrote:
      > I finished Phase 3 (I have not started on the SWR circuit) a couple of
      > days ago. I have fine output and nice tones on 40m. I don't seem to
      > have any output on 30 or 20m other than the 10mW on the G59. I have not
      > checked with a wattmeter, I'm only using my other transceiver as a
      > guide. The one wattmeter I have will not go down to the mW level
      > regardless.
      >
      > Also, the tones on 30 and 20m do not seem as "clean" as they are on
      > 40m. 40m is great though - except at night when all the foreign
      > broadcasters start up.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joel - W4JBB

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

      Joel

      "Common sense is like deodorant...
      Those who need it most don't use it."
      --Unknown

      =======
      http://www.pctools.com
      =======

      =======
      http://www.pctools.com
      =======
    • Steve (sp@m)
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
        I’ve got similar suspected issues with my BPF’s on 40 and 30m.
        I think what I’ll try is just taking a jumper from the bnc input and jumping over each component until I see noise on the display.
        right now I see nothing but the internal sound card signals...so suspect I’ve messed something up.

        Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:29 PM

        I just verified with my dinky wattmeter the following (just pressing the
        tune button in GSDR):

        160m: no output
        80m: ~1 - 2W
        60m: ~4W
        40m: ~4W
        30m: no output
        20m: no output
        17m: ~2 - 3W
        15m: ~5W
        12m: ~5W
        10m: ~10W
        6m: ~2 - 3W

        Again, the wattmeter is on my MFJ-949E tuner and is *not* calibrated.
        However, it is showing me that, relative to other bands, 160, 30, and
        20m are not transmitting.

        I have been concerned about 20 and 30m for some time - since before
        starting the GPA10. I need to go back and check all the components in
        the BPF for those bands. Might even have a bad component although I'm
        not sure how to test other than just replacing components. It would be
        really nice to have an o'scope for signal tracing although... I guess I
        could take a probe, connect to my FT857 with padding and listen for
        where the signal changes (if it does indeed change). Honestly, I'm
        grabbing at anything right now. Sorry, I'm thinking out loud. If
        anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to them.

        Joel - W4JBB

        On 9/3/2011 10:47 AM, Joel Black wrote:
        > I finished Phase 3 (I have not started on the SWR circuit) a couple of
        > days ago. I have fine output and nice tones on 40m. I don't seem to
        > have any output on 30 or 20m other than the 10mW on the G59. I have not
        > checked with a wattmeter, I'm only using my other transceiver as a
        > guide. The one wattmeter I have will not go down to the mW level
        > regardless.
        >
        > Also, the tones on 30 and 20m do not seem as "clean" as they are on
        > 40m. 40m is great though - except at night when all the foreign
        > broadcasters start up.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joel - W4JBB

        > -----
        > No virus found in this message.

        Joel

        "Common sense is like deodorant...
        Those who need it most don't use it."
        --Unknown

      • Joel Black
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
          The soundcard output voltage is set.

          I did not think the PA settings were due until the end of the build, but  I will go through the calibration manual and do them.

          To check the relays, I check the voltage on the inductor, correct?  I thought I verified that during the build, but I will recheck.  I cannot tell by feeling them if it actuates or not.  I guess my tactile senses are dulled.  :)

          Thanks,
          Joel - W4JBB

          Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:29 PM

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
            Well, okay.  Then what I said about the BPF doesn't compute I don't think.  I can receive fine on 30 and 20m (I don't even have an antenna for 160m), but transmit is not there.  It should filter in both directions...  Although, my receive level is very low on both of those bands...  Still may be something to check.

            I'm going to go through the calibration procedure per what Bruce said and see what I get.

            Thanks,
            Joel - W4JBB

            Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:29 PM

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
              If you have problems on 40m and 30m... that's 2 different filters

              30 and 20m are the same filter.

              Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:29 PM

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                the PA settings are due when you're trying to get 10 watts output on all bands.  Smile

                I would guess that on 20/30 and 160m filters there is an issue.

                Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:29 PM

                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                  No, my problems are 30 and 20m.  40m is good.

                  Joel

                  Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 4:29 PM

                Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                  I guess I need to start tracing signals on the G59 then.  ;)

                  Man, I hope y'all are doing okay, Bruce.  I read (or heard) where some of the roads will not be rebuilt until Spring of next year.  Our Spring comes in late March/early April.  I have no idea when yours comes.

                  Thanks,
                  Joel - W4JBB

                  Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:29 PM

                • =======
                  http://www.pctools.com
                  =======

                  Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2011
                    G59 I thought you said was ok?
                    If you RX ok on 20/30, and 160
                    I would look at those on GPA10

                    Yeah, the roads are nasty... not that they were great before...
                    Grocery stores still have no fresh produce, dairy or meats til at least Tuesday next week.
                    ( unless we travel about an hour or so..)

                    Another 3 inches of rain due here Monday/ Monday night...

                    And THEN we are looking at where Hurricane KATIA is headed !

                    Could be interesting  Smile

                    Bruce

                    Sent: Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:29 PM