GSDR + G59 assembling clarification help

  • Sinisa Tasic
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2 3:22 AM

      Hello group and G59 builders,

      I like to make some clarification to problem posted to Yahoo group and subjects were GSDR and G59!!

      First and most important thing related to GSDR!! Do not connect G59 to PC via USB before GSDR is working at the correct way alone.

      You need to establish that GSDR is working correctly with recorded I/Q files you have one at Genesis site! It is possible to make transmit test press tune and hear test signal from sound card in your phones. When is all working than you can connect G59 or some other Genesis SDR RIG!

      If you have that green LED is lightning that your oscillator in G59 at 16MHZ is working. That is simple and best test without adequate measuring equipments oscilloscope and good probes.

      The Si570 is working in 99% good if it is OK! Some problems had been observed in past but in that case Si570 is not working continuously!! The most problems are related to the bad soldering!

      I didn’t make choice the FIN1002 as driver because it is too small size and I like that soldering is easy for the most builders which haven’t skill for too small SMT components.

      The broad band MMIC ERA4 has advantage that it bandwidth is much bigger than FIN1002. In my test it gave better or the same results as FIN1002 which is much easy to solder!

      Working point of ERA4 had been chosen for voltage supply of +13.5V. Lower voltage (to +11V) has little effect to gain drop is around max 1.5dB .The problem which is appear that IMD is worse it is only for RF preamplifier! The optimum power supply for whole SDR RIG G59 and GPA10 also for other SDR G40, G3020… is from13.0-13.8V!

      Problems related to keying external PA amplifier. The reason can be that built in BC546 is too “weak” you can freely replace with BD139 check transistor pins! Than it can drive any relay type. Delay can be problem that current is too small for some relay type. The alternative solution is t use reed relays which will be keying additional PA. It is necessary to makes a little ”piglet” in that case adding power supply for relays and cutting PCB tracks  but it will work for sure.

      The source of IMD in transmit is by un-propriety audio level from sound card. The solution is calibrating sound card output in GSDR!! Lower number for example 0.5V mean additional gain which overdrive 74LVC4066 modulator with clipping! Big number 2V …mean small output and you can’t obtain enough drive for modulator this means that sound card is giving too small output. The G59 has typically max +10-12dBm very good quality output. The GPA10 board is producing 10W with typical drive from G59 in range from +1 to +4dBm with good assembled and adjusted GPA10 filters and G59! It is necessary that at the max output drivers BC546/BC556 producing maximum 5Vpeak –peak. The bigger values will produce IMD a lot of unwanted signals around carrier! The best check is with oscilloscope! If you haven’t oscilloscope reduce IF frequency in GSDR for test purpose to for example to 1 KHz and than you can measure with DMM (digital multi meter) signal around 1.8Vat every of 4 outputs!! The all outputs have to be matched very well with output levels. The good matched values at output are if modulator driver circuit is working at correct way.The accuracy of measurements is strongly determined by DMM quality!!

      I hope that I give a little help to all who have some kind of problems in assembling?

      I wish to all builders successfully finishing assembling Genesis SDR RIGs.

      VY 73Tasa YU1LM/QRP

    • imeins2003
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2 3:58 AM
        Hi Tasa,

        Thanks for the quick response, okay on the ERA-4 but the bandwidth of the FIN1002 exceeds 400MHz as well ;-) but then I prefer soldering SMD to thru-hole!

        Cheers,

        Ingmar