My new poem-The Secret River

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006
      Hello Friends-

      I wrote a poem I would like to share with you.
      The inspiration of this poem is being so totally frustrated by my family as
      I am researching my family history and getting resistance at every turn.
      Looking at pictures of my grandfather--it is obvious by his features that he is mixed.
      Yet, no one wants to admit it, let alone talk about it!
      After a year of writing letters to strangers, I finally found a long-lost cousin. I have talked to this cousin for 9 months
      before he finally told me that my family IS MIXED, and that we are both African-American and Euro-American.
      Which means that at least one female relative was raped while in slavery, and had children from this assault (I have
      found this ancestor). In addition, there are several more mixtures down the line--which no one wants to talk about, either.
      On top of that it seems like the family has split down the color line, and chosen to segregate themselves from each other.
      So instead of pulling my hair out & going bald in the process of frustration, hehe, I wrote a poem. Enjoy.

      :) Lynn

      The Secret River

      The multi-racial lineage of my family is but a whisper;
      secretly we know its there and secretly
      we deny its existence.
      When you talk about 'mixed', our memories turn to the obvious reminders'
      the relatives with the lighter skin or the straighter hair.
      Of course, they are mixed, what else is there to say?
      Underneath the rumble of our voices,
      and the turn of our smiles,
      is the secret river of our bloodline,
      carrying not only genes but a hidden shame.
      So we don't look that far back in our past,
      don't ask questions, and turn our eyes away from the obvious.
       It is much safer to be black.
      Black is a color that blots out any stain,
      awash in darkness our feelings are numb.
      Fumbling through the darkness,
      we find each other, we always have.
      We love our blackness because they once hated us,
      from their hatred we came together as a family,
      loving our dark skin, curly hair and midnight eyes.
      We love our black babies,
      bestowing our dreams upon our children�
      of them all, the strongest is a wish,
      a need to break free from the past.
      So we moved forward by embracing the black
      that blotted out all painful memories.
      Our children are the most visible reminders,
      so through their blackness,
      we sought to remove from ourselves
      the most painful reminder of our humiliation.
      We worked and fought to create
      our own place in the world
      a unique vision of what it meant to be black.
      Woven within that vision were the traditions passed down
      in our memories, beliefs, family recipes.
      And yet, we could not escape
      the secret river that rose through our veins,
      washing the black
      with something strikingly different.

      � All Rights Reserved.

      NOTE:

      The poem entitled, 'The Secret River is the � copyright work of it�s author
      (�Lynn� of http://profiles.yahoo.com/graceofwynn) and thus, all of the general
      copyright (c) standards are fully acknowledged within this publication.
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24, 2006

        Lynn,

        Your poem is just amazing and you
        are an incredibly-talented woman!!

        This poem was absolutely incredible and says so much
        ---- not only about your own personal family, but about
        so very many of the families and individuals who were of an
        MGM-Mixed lineage (
        which also contains 'black' admixture)
        and which over a period of years (sometimes due to various
        shameful experiences, disappointing encounters and even
        malevolent treatment by others) decided to take on a "black"
        socio-political "
        identity"
          in order to try to feel more empowered.

        What's ironic is that -- just like you said --
        their Mixed-Race lineage remained
        undeniable.

        Please continue in your God-given gift of both researching
        your own family and other's MGM-Mixed history AND
        in chronicling it in your poetic works and prose.

        You may very well be the next  '
        J. California Cooper'
        (author of the book, '
        Family' -- which tells the
        story of an MGM-Mixed American family).

        If you decide to publish a collection of your works -- feel free
        to provide a link to the publishing company on our site.

        Thanks again for sharing this profound work with us all!