Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: talking...............its really important

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2006
      I know it's rough when you are out there and "alone in a crowd". I lived for a better part of my childhood
      in the south (Texas and Arkansas) and was always the odd one due to my lips and hair texture.
      I never really felt accepted until I moved to New Jerey but then the people thought i was Puerto Rican, Italian or Greek~

      Regards,
      Jeff

      Briana Mays <lilmixedshawty92@...> wrote:
      its all good i understand... but anyways yeah i am from alabama and being mixed here is alright , there arent really that many mixed people where i live and i have definitely never ever seen a mixed adult here. when i was little i was rele confused. i guess i thought i was white cuz i rele dont see mah dad that much, only mah mom and sister and they are white. anyways,  was on safety patrol at skool and alot of the white people wouldnt let me take their kids to their car or get them out (they told me they didnt want a black girl to take their kis anywhere), it was not kool. its still rele hard becuz im not rele accepted by either side (black or white) so i jus kinda talk to both sides a lil and stay in mah own lil poetry world the rest of the time. ionno i guess ya'll think thats weird but i think its tha best thing for me to do. well anyways im sorry this e-mail is so long!! lol mucha luv! ~briana~

      Hey Briana,

      How's it going?

      Sorry to hear you haven't heard much back from people.
      Often the online groups go into cycles where sometimes
      it's super-busy -- other times -- everyone's schedule
      is so full they can only get back at certain times.

      Hopefully -- with holidays having winded down and tax
      season being nearly over -- more activity will occur soon.

      Also -- if you knwo of more young people and teens who
      might like to join and present more topics of conversation
      to the group -- feel free to recommmend that they do so.

      Did you mention earlier that you were from Alabama?

      Can you tell us a little bit about what life
      is like for you as a Mixed-Race person there?

      "Briana" <lilmixedshawty92@...> wrote:

      heyy ya'll really dont talk much.... ya know, talkin is tha key to
      success in an on line group. lol, so what has been up witya'll nada
      herr jus bein new, not really knowin what to say cuz aint really no
      one talking to me. anyways holla baq. ~briana gayle~

      Yahoo! Mail

      .

    • Li (wiseladyowl)

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2006
          Hello Brianna and Friends :)

          In one of my favorite memories... I went to a family reunion in Selma. My teenage cousins took to my son like he was their own baby brother. We are all mixed in my family--ever shade of the rainbow and in-between. My cousins are much darker than my son, who could pass for White. Anyways, my cousins put my son in his baby stroller & took off with him. They were showing him off to all the neighbors, driving him to the park--playing basketball. In the eyes of a child--race or skin color or any of the things an adult feels pressure about--did not matter. They were all just playing, and laughing together.

          My older cousin (the mother of the teenagers) was telling me that there really is no concept of "mixed". You are either black or white. When I took my cousin to vacation at a resort in Ohio--it was really weird for me to see how she was acting. Guess because I am mixed I learn to adapt in any situation. But for her, she only felt comfortable around other blacks. And I mean that--only comfortable around people with dark skin. She would go out the door and her eyes were wide open--taking count. And if there were not many black people she would assume that people were racist or staring at her or being rude. And in a way that was the truth of what she experienced somewhere in life--and it followed her.

          I want for my kids a healthy balance. Having self confidence but also awareness of the world.

          Hope you are well!

          Lynn
        • Jaime Pretell