Re: [Generation-Mixed] Have you seen The Human Stain?

  • Tyrone Anderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 14, 2006
      I agree also that Anthony was a bad choice, but it could depend on budgetting and availability as well.  He is too well known to play a mulatto passing for a Jew

      I think the family was mixed looking enough to have produced a whiter looking child.  This isn't something uncommon to people of mixed ancestry.

      The rest of the stuff I agree as well.  I enjoyed the movie

      Anna Deavere Smith
      j s <creolescience@...> wrote:
      Sorry - I disagree with you on alot of points.

      I do think Anthony Hopkins was a bad choice for the older Coleman and his family was "too black" to believably have been his parents but the character stuff I felt made perfect sense givent the time and place. Coleman showed that he was a  frustrated, selfish person as a youth who wasn't always realistic in his approach to life, which basically shaped his adulthood and even led to his own death by making poor choices. I don't see him as a hero but as a tragic, flawed character who was probably a very likeable guy.
       I don't think the sex was gratuitous and I think it was necessary for the character development , which I felt was thorough enough.

      wintyreeve@... wrote:
      Hello Friends-

      I saw this movie last night (its in the video stores) called "The Human Stain" with Gary Sinise, Nicole Kidman, and Anthony Hopkins. Have any of you seen it? The movie is based on a book by Philip Roth but I have not read the book...

      I found the movie to be completely unbelievable! It's about a college professor, Coleman Silk, who goes all of his life hiding a secret and guess what the secret is--he is mixed.

      The movie starts out with Hopkins, who plays the college professor Coleman, being accused of racism because he wrote this book called "Spooks"--as in ghost. The story unfolds rather abruptly that Coleman is really mixed, and of African-American descent. You can tell the producers are going for shock value--the movie goes from a small, quiet town to this scene in the inner city near New York and a younger version of Coleman is calling these obviously African-American people "mom" and "dad". It is meant to be shocking.

      The most unbelievable thing is the way these characters are created. The family is mixed, and obviously of African-American descent. The mother, father, and their two children--a son and a daughter have dark skin and other features that show they are mixed. But the actor who is the younger version of Coleman looks Italian--he doesn't look anything like his family! He looks like he has a completely different set of parents! And if that isn't bad enough this man later grows up to be Anthony Hopkins--who speaks with an English accent!

      The movie has way too many sex scenes in it. Yuck--who wants to see Hopkins getting naked with Kidman? Puke! The bad thing is that there is so much sex that the characters are never fully developed-so the movie is even more unbelievable. The movie does not develop a relationship with Coleman and his family--he looks and acts like a stranger. The darker brother and sister who look like they belong to the family do share an intimacy that is more natural to a family. For some reason, Coleman character chooses to pass as white--and that is never explained. Especially since Coleman checks his race as "white" but calls himself a "Jew" then falls in love with a White girlfriend with blond hair, who comes from some kind of high class family. Coleman becomes engaged to this girl & brings her home to meet his family in New York--where she learns he is Black. The girlfriend eventually breaks off the engagement. Doesn't make any sense... The movie begins in the 1950's or 1960's--there is still alot of anti-Semitism in society. No way would a high-society family let their daughter marry a Jewish man. Not only that but the 50's and 60's is an era of discrimination and racism against Blacks. Coleman's own father faced discrimination on his job everyday. Why would Coleman think his fiancee would be any different? Why would he pass as "white" only to bring her to his family--not telling her first--and just think she would be okay that he suddenly is Black?

      After the fiancee breaks up with him with, Coleman gets all angry and makes a racist remark toward another Black man...but that is never developed and later in the movie his character is portrayed to be a hero, and someone who would never be racist...

      I thought this movie was poorly done--I am open to reading the book, though.

      Lynn

      "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White: