Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A Note on 'Mariah Carey'

  • JT Travis
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 8, 2006
      Don't hate her because she's beautiful, sexy, talented and successful.

      wintyreeve@... wrote:
      RE Adeline: I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
      "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

      To me-Mariah Carey looks like an ego maniac. She is always screaming these high notes and then feeling on herself. Gross!

      VH1 had this show on called "Hip Hop Sexploitation". Would not let a child watch it but for parents and teachers--it is an eye-opener. Basically, sex sells.

      The show talked about how women would audition for hip-hop videos and it was a meat market. The women had to wear next to nothing, and act like street walkers. Alot of the women were sexually harrassed--even grabbed in the privates and told if they did not have sex (with producers, artists, groupies, etc) that they would not get the job. The women who put out were often passed from one man to the next. They were treated like a piece of meat--and given degrading names. Once in the music industry, drugs and alcohol abuse was common. Alot of the women were encouraged to get high or get drunk and then taken advantage of. The men too--it was perceived as "cool" to be a drunk and stoned. And some women just loved all the attention, and the money they got from prostituting themselves. For an artist making millions of dollars a year, it was nothing to throw a couple thousand at these women. To the women it was alot of money, but I wouldn't sell my body for any amount! The glamor of being in the music industry became more important than self-respect or being a positive role model.

      But don't confuse this with being "black". I agree with Femininemind, these people are stooping to low levels, are confused, and are compromising their soul. Not all "Black" people are like this. That's the problem--people see this garbage on the videos and then it creates a false image that this is what "Black" is. Judge the behavior for what it is--don't judge the behavior and assume it is based on skin color or ethnicity.

      Peace, Lynn

    • Brittany Link
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
        I wouldnt say she was hating...please dont be one of those fans who every time someone says somthing negative about them you just try and bite their ear off.

        I like mariah, but she's a bit looney

        wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

      • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
          Exactly. It's her *job*. I don't like her, I don't
          like her music, so I don't buy any of it, and I don't
          go to her concerts, I don't watch her vids. But I'm
          not going to fault her for doing what she's paid to
          do... be a pop diva.

          Raven

          Tyrone Anderson <gemini072@...> wrote:

          That's all the same stuff that would happen
          in the Rock arena: videos, concerts etc etc

          wintyreeve@... wrote:

[...]

          "Man would rather be a little higher than the
          apes,than a little lower than the angels." -
          "I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference.
          Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark."
          -Walter White:

          And if all others accepted the lie which the
          Party imposed,if all records told the same tale,
          then the lie passed into history and became truth.
          'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future:
          who controls the present controls the past.'"
          -pg 32 / George Orwell, "1984"