Re: A Note on 'Mariah Carey'

  • Baby Femme
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
      I do not agree with THAT reply at all! She appears and arent
      appearances important with a "pop diva" confused to most people
      generally speaking. Now that she is seemingly trying so hard to get
      noticed in such a negative way is a travesty. She is plunging (no
      pun intended) to such a low level with her attempts to "be sexy".
      Just look at the Dont forget about us video...She is naturally so
      and so very talented. I find her new image a huge turnoff. She is no
      longer a role model for my little ones. Instead she is obviously
      competing for top sex singer image. She doesnt need to do that, why
      would she? Her voice is excellent, her style WAS classy. She has
      become not only just like the rest but lower. What is she trying to
      portray.....confused....

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "Adeline" <adeline_gros@y...> wrote:

      I did buy this magazine just because Mariah was on the cover.
      I loved the way they portrayed her. She is indeed very
      misunderstood, and the article attempted to dissolve this image...
      So much integrity is lost trying to make money these days.

      For all the money, fame, good looks, and success she
      enjoys, it's poignant to attest she still struggles
      for identity, and be recognized for herself.
      I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
      "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

      Adeline

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Article on 'Mariah Carey':

      "This "mulatto" is hardly tragic.
      There is no haunting semblance to the
      1959 movie classic Imitation of Life.
      And Sarah Jane--the movie's beautiful, self-hating
      protagonist who abandoned her dark-skinned Black
      mother and chose to pass for White--does not live here.
      The woman who does live here in this expansive
      penthouse in lace Manhattan's Tribeca is Mariah Carey.
      She has jokingly described herself as a bit of a "mutt"
      (the offspring of an Irish-American morn and
      a half-African-American, half-Venezuelan dad).
      But she's not tragic. Not tragic at all.
      In some ways Mariah Carey, 35, is everything
      you would expect a pop diva to be" ... "

      For full article – click the following link
      http://www.themariahnetwork.com/articles/essence05.html

      (Source: Essence magazine / Date: April, 2005)

      Interesting Related Link:

      http://music.aol.com/franchise/firstview.adp
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2006
        RE Adeline: I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
        "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

        To me-Mariah Carey looks like an ego maniac. She is always screaming these high notes and then feeling on herself. Gross!

        VH1 had this show on called "Hip Hop Sexploitation". Would not let a child watch it but for parents and teachers--it is an eye-opener. Basically, sex sells.

        The show talked about how women would audition for hip-hop videos and it was a meat market. The women had to wear next to nothing, and act like street walkers. Alot of the women were sexually harrassed--even grabbed in the privates and told if they did not have sex (with producers, artists, groupies, etc) that they would not get the job. The women who put out were often passed from one man to the next. They were treated like a piece of meat--and given degrading names. Once in the music industry, drugs and alcohol abuse was common. Alot of the women were encouraged to get high or get drunk and then taken advantage of. The men too--it was perceived as "cool" to be a drunk and stoned. And some women just loved all the attention, and the money they got from prostituting themselves. For an artist making millions of dollars a year, it was nothing to throw a couple thousand at these women. To the women it was alot of money, but I wouldn't sell my body for any amount! The glamor of being in the music industry became more important than self-respect or being a positive role model.

        But don't confuse this with being "black". I agree with Femininemind, these people are stooping to low levels, are confused, and are compromising their soul. Not all "Black" people are like this. That's the problem--people see this garbage on the videos and then it creates a false image that this is what "Black" is. Judge the behavior for what it is--don't judge the behavior and assume it is based on skin color or ethnicity.

        Peace, Lynn

      • Brittany Link

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2006
              That's all the same stuff that would happen in the Rock arena: videos, concerts etc etc

              wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

              "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White:

            • Brittany Link
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                I wouldnt say she was hating...please dont be one of those fans who every time someone says somthing negative about them you just try and bite their ear off.

                I like mariah, but she's a bit looney

                wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

              • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
                  Exactly. It's her *job*. I don't like her, I don't
                  like her music, so I don't buy any of it, and I don't
                  go to her concerts, I don't watch her vids. But I'm
                  not going to fault her for doing what she's paid to
                  do... be a pop diva.

                  Raven

                  wintyreeve@... wrote:

[...]

                  And if all others accepted the lie which the
                  Party imposed,if all records told the same tale,
                  then the lie passed into history and became truth.
                  'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future:
                  who controls the present controls the past.'"
                  -pg 32 / George Orwell, "1984"