Re: Aleksandr & Family History

  • Lynn
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hello Aleksandr-

      I visited your family webpage--very interesting. Laugh* So when are
      you going to write a book? I would love to hear more behind this!

      Are you researching your family tree?

      What led you to believe or suspect you have racially mixed ancestry?

      What I would suggest is to look at the town or place your family came
      from. Then look at the census--where did they live, who were the
      neighbors, what was the occupation. In most rural areas people were
      so isolated that neighbors, and even cousins, married into each
      other's families. So you can get a good idea of who your kin are, and
      what the environment was like, and what is the possibility of them
      being racially mixed. Occupation says alot also because you get an
      idea of the social statues of your family, and what opportunities
      they might have had. Most "colored" (for lack of better words--sorry)
      people were not educated in the 1800's and even through the 1900's.
      So you can also look at that on the census. Once you get all these
      little clues together, look at the bigger picture.

      I would also think back to the stories passed down, and the way your
      elders treated their family history. Something small might provide a
      big clue. If a family elder seems secretative or evasive or suddenly
      not remembering something--that's a red flag. Also--look at your
      traditions. Might be a clue in there too.

      I wish you the best on your search!!

      Lynn