Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A Note on 'Mariah Carey'

  • Brittany Link
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
      i was woundering that as well, her hair gets blonder, and it seems she doesnt tan, or is lighter in color than she was when she first came out....so yea,

      Tyrone Anderson <gemini072@...> wrote:
      Mariah did agree to the title, one reason I thought it was on point.  Because in the article Mariah was dealing mostly with America trying to not see her 'Blackness' so the title is pointing to that part of Mariah, the article proved they weren't trying to make her out to be only Black.

      A lot of people look at Mariah and assume she has no connection to the 'black' community, no black culture about her etc etc  Not realizing that for a part of her life she was raised by her black grandmother, that she attended a black pentecostal church (she stated recently that she is a member of one not to far from where she lives)  that growing up in NYC hip hop was just a part of the scene and she is very much has always been into it.

      It was her previous management that tried to make Mariah into something she didn't agree with and now she is doing what she wants.

      Adeline, please tell me how Mariah 'tries to make herself look black'??  she looks whiter, not blacker.

      Is this trying to make herself look black?

      Adeline <adeline_gros@...> wrote:
      I did buy this magazine just because Mariah was on the cover.
      I loved the way they portrayed her. She is indeed very
      misunderstood, and the article attempted to dissolve this image.
      What I didnt' agree with is the title: "america's most
      misunderstood black woman;" She isn't black but mixed.
      But well, is that a marketing srategy to sell the magazine?
      So much integrity is lost trying to make money these days.

      For all the money, fame, good looks, and success she
      enjoys, it's poignant to attest she still struggles
      for identity, and be recognized for herself.
      I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
      "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

      Adeline

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Article on 'Mariah Carey':

      "This "mulatto" is hardly tragic.
      There is no haunting semblance to the
      1959 movie classic Imitation of Life.
      And Sarah Jane--the movie's beautiful, self-hating
      protagonist who abandoned her dark-skinned Black
      mother and chose to pass for White--does not live here.
      The woman who does live here in this expansive
      penthouse in lace Manhattan's Tribeca is Mariah Carey.
      She has jokingly described herself as a bit of a "mutt"
      (the offspring of an Irish-American morn and
      a half-African-American, half-Venezuelan dad).
      But she's not tragic. Not tragic at all.
      In some ways Mariah Carey, 35, is everything
      you would expect a pop diva to be" ... "

      For full article – click the following link
      http://www.themariahnetwork.com/articles/essence05.html

      (Source: Essence magazine / Date: April, 2005)

      Interesting Related Link:

      http://music.aol.com/franchise/firstview.adp

      "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." - "I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White:

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Yahoo! Photos
    • Baby Femme
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
        I do not agree with THAT reply at all! She appears and arent
        appearances important with a "pop diva" confused to most people
        generally speaking. Now that she is seemingly trying so hard to get
        noticed in such a negative way is a travesty. She is plunging (no
        pun intended) to such a low level with her attempts to "be sexy".
        Just look at the Dont forget about us video...She is naturally so
        and so very talented. I find her new image a huge turnoff. She is no
        longer a role model for my little ones. Instead she is obviously
        competing for top sex singer image. She doesnt need to do that, why
        would she? Her voice is excellent, her style WAS classy. She has
        become not only just like the rest but lower. What is she trying to
        portray.....confused....

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2006
          RE Adeline: I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
          "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

          To me-Mariah Carey looks like an ego maniac. She is always screaming these high notes and then feeling on herself. Gross!

          VH1 had this show on called "Hip Hop Sexploitation". Would not let a child watch it but for parents and teachers--it is an eye-opener. Basically, sex sells.

          The show talked about how women would audition for hip-hop videos and it was a meat market. The women had to wear next to nothing, and act like street walkers. Alot of the women were sexually harrassed--even grabbed in the privates and told if they did not have sex (with producers, artists, groupies, etc) that they would not get the job. The women who put out were often passed from one man to the next. They were treated like a piece of meat--and given degrading names. Once in the music industry, drugs and alcohol abuse was common. Alot of the women were encouraged to get high or get drunk and then taken advantage of. The men too--it was perceived as "cool" to be a drunk and stoned. And some women just loved all the attention, and the money they got from prostituting themselves. For an artist making millions of dollars a year, it was nothing to throw a couple thousand at these women. To the women it was alot of money, but I wouldn't sell my body for any amount! The glamor of being in the music industry became more important than self-respect or being a positive role model.

          But don't confuse this with being "black". I agree with Femininemind, these people are stooping to low levels, are confused, and are compromising their soul. Not all "Black" people are like this. That's the problem--people see this garbage on the videos and then it creates a false image that this is what "Black" is. Judge the behavior for what it is--don't judge the behavior and assume it is based on skin color or ethnicity.

          Peace, Lynn

        • Brittany Link

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                  I wouldnt say she was hating...please dont be one of those fans who every time someone says somthing negative about them you just try and bite their ear off.

                  I like mariah, but she's a bit looney

                  wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

                • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
                    Exactly. It's her *job*. I don't like her, I don't
                    like her music, so I don't buy any of it, and I don't
                    go to her concerts, I don't watch her vids. But I'm
                    not going to fault her for doing what she's paid to
                    do... be a pop diva.

                    Raven

                    wintyreeve@... wrote:

[...]

                    And if all others accepted the lie which the
                    Party imposed,if all records told the same tale,
                    then the lie passed into history and became truth.
                    'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future:
                    who controls the present controls the past.'"
                    -pg 32 / George Orwell, "1984"