Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: A Note on 'Mariah Carey'

  • Brittany Link
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2005
      did you ever think that maybe SHE likes to dress like that? lets not forget her story where earlier in her career she didnt get to express herself through clothing, now she's in control...65% of that time that's not such a good thing, but it makes her feel good( by the way that's just my opinion, the girl needs a stylist!)

      I didnt like how da brat and jd were talking about all the 'black' people she hangs around, and how 'ghetto' she is..what does that have to do with 'proving' her identity? I know many white girls who are ghetto, and I a woman with african ancestry a member of the african american ethincitiy am not ghetto at all. I mean really, I'm described as spoiled, little prissy rich girl and my ghetto friends laugh when I 'try' to talk ghetto, and even say I dont cuss right, and I have more black blood than mariah does!

      Adeline <adeline_gros@...> wrote:
      I did buy this magazine just because Mariah was on the cover.
      I loved the way they portrayed her. She is indeed very
      misunderstood, and the article attempted to dissolve this image.
      What I didnt' agree with is the title: "america's most
      misunderstood black woman;" She isn't black but mixed.
      But well, is that a marketing srategy to sell the magazine?
      So much integrity is lost trying to make money these days.

      For all the money, fame, good looks, and success she
      enjoys, it's poignant to attest she still struggles
      for identity, and be recognized for herself.
      I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
      "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

      Adeline

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Article on 'Mariah Carey':

      "This "mulatto" is hardly tragic.
      There is no haunting semblance to the
      1959 movie classic Imitation of Life.
      And Sarah Jane--the movie's beautiful, self-hating
      protagonist who abandoned her dark-skinned Black
      mother and chose to pass for White--does not live here.
      The woman who does live here in this expansive
      penthouse in lace Manhattan's Tribeca is Mariah Carey.
      She has jokingly described herself as a bit of a "mutt"
      (the offspring of an Irish-American morn and
      a half-African-American, half-Venezuelan dad).
      But she's not tragic. Not tragic at all.
      In some ways Mariah Carey, 35, is everything
      you would expect a pop diva to be" ... "

      For full article – click the following link
      http://www.themariahnetwork.com/articles/essence05.html

      (Source: Essence magazine / Date: April, 2005)

      Interesting Related Link:

      http://music.aol.com/franchise/firstview.adp

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

    • Tyrone Anderson
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
        Mariah did agree to the title, one reason I thought it was on point.  Because in the article Mariah was dealing mostly with America trying to not see her 'Blackness' so the title is pointing to that part of Mariah, the article proved they weren't trying to make her out to be only Black.

        A lot of people look at Mariah and assume she has no connection to the 'black' community, no black culture about her etc etc  Not realizing that for a part of her life she was raised by her black grandmother, that she attended a black pentecostal church (she stated recently that she is a member of one not to far from where she lives)  that growing up in NYC hip hop was just a part of the scene and she is very much has always been into it.

        It was her previous management that tried to make Mariah into something she didn't agree with and now she is doing what she wants.

        Adeline, please tell me how Mariah 'tries to make herself look black'??  she looks whiter, not blacker.

        Is this trying to make herself look black?

        Adeline <adeline_gros@...> wrote:
[...]

        "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White:

      • Brittany Link
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2005
          i was woundering that as well, her hair gets blonder, and it seems she doesnt tan, or is lighter in color than she was when she first came out....so yea,

          Adeline <adeline_gros@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Photos
        • Baby Femme
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2006
            I do not agree with THAT reply at all! She appears and arent
            appearances important with a "pop diva" confused to most people
            generally speaking. Now that she is seemingly trying so hard to get
            noticed in such a negative way is a travesty. She is plunging (no
            pun intended) to such a low level with her attempts to "be sexy".
            Just look at the Dont forget about us video...She is naturally so
            and so very talented. I find her new image a huge turnoff. She is no
            longer a role model for my little ones. Instead she is obviously
            competing for top sex singer image. She doesnt need to do that, why
            would she? Her voice is excellent, her style WAS classy. She has
            become not only just like the rest but lower. What is she trying to
            portray.....confused....

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 6, 2006
              RE Adeline: I do not like the fact that she tries to make herself look
              "black" and appears so hip hop style in most of her videos.

              To me-Mariah Carey looks like an ego maniac. She is always screaming these high notes and then feeling on herself. Gross!

              VH1 had this show on called "Hip Hop Sexploitation". Would not let a child watch it but for parents and teachers--it is an eye-opener. Basically, sex sells.

              The show talked about how women would audition for hip-hop videos and it was a meat market. The women had to wear next to nothing, and act like street walkers. Alot of the women were sexually harrassed--even grabbed in the privates and told if they did not have sex (with producers, artists, groupies, etc) that they would not get the job. The women who put out were often passed from one man to the next. They were treated like a piece of meat--and given degrading names. Once in the music industry, drugs and alcohol abuse was common. Alot of the women were encouraged to get high or get drunk and then taken advantage of. The men too--it was perceived as "cool" to be a drunk and stoned. And some women just loved all the attention, and the money they got from prostituting themselves. For an artist making millions of dollars a year, it was nothing to throw a couple thousand at these women. To the women it was alot of money, but I wouldn't sell my body for any amount! The glamor of being in the music industry became more important than self-respect or being a positive role model.

              But don't confuse this with being "black". I agree with Femininemind, these people are stooping to low levels, are confused, and are compromising their soul. Not all "Black" people are like this. That's the problem--people see this garbage on the videos and then it creates a false image that this is what "Black" is. Judge the behavior for what it is--don't judge the behavior and assume it is based on skin color or ethnicity.

              Peace, Lynn

            • Brittany Link

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 10, 2006
                      I wouldnt say she was hating...please dont be one of those fans who every time someone says somthing negative about them you just try and bite their ear off.

                      I like mariah, but she's a bit looney

                      wintyreeve@... wrote:
[...]

                    • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 11, 2006
                        Exactly. It's her *job*. I don't like her, I don't
                        like her music, so I don't buy any of it, and I don't
                        go to her concerts, I don't watch her vids. But I'm
                        not going to fault her for doing what she's paid to
                        do... be a pop diva.

                        Raven

                        wintyreeve@... wrote:

[...]

                        And if all others accepted the lie which the
                        Party imposed,if all records told the same tale,
                        then the lie passed into history and became truth.
                        'Who controls the past' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future:
                        who controls the present controls the past.'"
                        -pg 32 / George Orwell, "1984"