Re: [Generation-Mixed] Mixed-Race Author: 'Alice Randall'

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2005
      But you have to realize that many if not most Creoles didn't see themselves as black and therefore felt that the civil rights movement etc didn't apply to them. In fact some Creoles owned slaves and fought on the side of the confederates during the civil war. I see her great great grandfather was a Confederate officer on his bio - there's no reason to believe that she'd consider herself black. In fact we are using the one drop rule mentality if we say she should have stoood up and been counted as black.

      wintyreeve@... wrote:
      For years, the question gnawed at Alice Randall, the author who
      fought in court to publish a book that is now a best-seller.
      Where, Randall wondered, were the mulatto children of Tara
      Randall, 42, who has lived in Nashville for almost 20 years, is
      mixed-race ancestry and identifies, proudly, as African American
      She was 12 and living in Detroit when she first read "Gone With the Wind,"
      Margaret Mitchell's Pulitzer Prize-winning epic of the Old South, and found
      herself mesmerized by the love story of headstrong Scarlett O'Hara and dashing

      I would just like to add that a mixed race woman, Joan Bennett, was considered for the role of Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone with the Wind". Joan Bennett was considered in the eyes of Hollywood--and the public to be "white" because she had fair skin, and styled her hair just so. She was very popular, and even now not much is said about her mixed race lineage. She has a star on the Hollywood walk of fame too. The huge contradiction her is that because Joan could pass for "white" she didn't have to struggle in the Civil Rights Era, was embraced by society (was a sex symbol), was welcomed with cheers & hugs. Those with a shade darker of skin lived a completely different life. I haven't seen anything that shows that Joan actively stood up or championed for Civil Rights causes or for African-Americans. She may have done so in private? Surely if Joan were to reveal her true identity at this time, she would have been ostracized. Personally, I would have fought for the cause--wouldn't mind being scoffed at because I wouldn't want to live a lie & rub elbows with people who have no sense of morality--or even decency.

      Do You Yahoo!?