Re: Children

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 25, 2005
      Hi Luv-

      Teenagers struggle with alot of things--so what exactly is the problem?

      When I was a teenager, the big thing was peer pressure as having to identify with one racial group--that you have to deny your mixed race identity and glob on to only one race. And then what is identified with that race is usually a stereotype or an exaggeration.

      I think what would help is to find out what your daughter is passionate about, what she is interested in. Try to reach out to her through those interests. And then when you teach her something new--try to find stories, songs, or things that match her interests or inspire her to look deeper. Another thing I do with my children is give them positive affirmations every day. I find ways to boost their self-esteem, and let them know that I love them.

      I will be praying for you & your family...

      Holiday Blessings, Lynn
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 28, 2005
        You may also suggest the movie or books "Queen" or "Roots" by Alex Haley. I think you can get the movies in the library?

        ____________________

        Queen: The Story of an American family by Alex Haley and David Stevens is a partly factual historical novel which has served to bring back to the consciousness of many White Americans the plight of the children of the plantation - the offspring of black slave women and their white masters, who rarely acknowledged the children, who were legally their slaves.

        The noted author Alex Haley (1921-1992) was the grandson of Queen, the illegitimate and unacknowledged daughter of James Jackson (a friend but not a relative of Andrew Jackson) and his slave, Easter. Although the novel alters many historical details to the extent that it cannot be treated as history, the basic outline - including the premise of James Jackson's paternity to Queen - has been accepted as fact by Jackson's white descendants. The novel recounts Queen's anguished early years as a slave girl, longing to know who her father was, and how it gradually dawned on her that he was none other than her master. After the American Civil War of 1861 to 1865 and the subsequent abolition of slavery, Queen was cast out. James Jackson would not acknowledge her as his daughter, afraid of compromising the inheritance of his legitimate children and goaded by his wife, who despised Queen. After many adventures, she married a reasonably successful former slave by the name of Haley, and had three sons by him.

        Alex Haley was unable to finish writing Queen before he died, and it was completed by David Stevens. While Stevens benefitted by the fact that Haley left behind many boxes of research notes and a 700-page outline of the story, David would later say that his writing was mainly guided by the many, long conversations he had with Alex.

        Adaptations

        In 1993 the miniseries Queen was shown on television, directed by John Erman, and starring Halle Berry and Ann-Margret.

      • Li
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2005
          <"luvtoobik" <luvtoobik@y...> wrote:

          I have a 15 year old daughter that is really having trouble.
          It's just like she is struggling with her identity. Can you help>

          Hi, I am not sure what the ethnic mixture of your daughter is, but if
          she is mixed with african american than you will want to expose her to
          one of her ‘black’ family members if possible. If that is not an option
          try a church or some other such organization that has positive and
          up-lifting ‘black’ members in their group that she can identify with.
          Feel free to have her call me f you like and find that you have no
          other options and between the both of us we can find her some help.
          Hope you are feeling better about the situation my number is: 510-712-4223

          Peace and light.......
        • Baby Femme
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2006
            "Li" <wiseladyowl@y...> wrote:

            [[<"luvtoobik" <luvtoobik@y...> wrote:

            I have a 15 year old daughter that is really having trouble.
            It's just like she is struggling with her identity. Can you help>]]

            Hi, I am not sure what the ethnic mixture of your daughter is,
            but if she is mixed with african american than you will want
            to expose her to one of her `black' family members if possible.
            If that is not an option try a church or some other such
            organization that has positive and up-lifting `black'
            members in their group that she can identify with.

            Feel free to have her call me f you like and find that you have no
            other options and between the both of us we can find her some help.

            Hope you are feeling better about the situation
            my number is: 510-712-4223

            Peace and light.......

            Im hoping to alleviate this problem.

            You didnt mention if she relates or prefers one race over the other.