Re: Mrs. Parks died at her home of natural causes,

  • Adeline
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      This woman is such an inspiration. It is amazing how
      one woman sparked the whole civil rights movement.
      Just imagine did she not take a stand.....frightening...~

      AS MiXIES LET'S TAKE A STAND AS WELL we
      never know how we can shape history!!!

      I am not saying that we are suffering like the
      african americans have in those days but our suffering
      is more mental and psychological orientated these days.

      BTW: if you see some weird spelling of words its b/c i now live
      in the UK and have adapted to their way of writing english

      adeline

      Pamela ZAHM <redheart83704@y...> wrote:

      Rosa Lee Parks, whose refusal to give up her bus seat to a white
      man sparked the modern civil rights movement, died Monday. She was
      92.

      Mrs. Parks died at her home of natural causes, said Karen Morgan,
      a spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich.

      Mrs. Parks was 42 when she committed an act of defiance in 1955
      that was to change the course of American history and earn her the
      title "mother of the civil rights movement."

      At that time, Jim Crow laws in place since the post-Civil War
      Reconstruction required separation of the races in buses,
      restaurants and public accommodations throughout the South, while
      legally sanctioned racial discrimination kept blacks out of many
      jobs and neighborhoods in the North.

      The Montgomery, Ala., seamstress, an active member of the local
      chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored
      People, was riding on a city bus Dec. 1, 1955, when a white man
      demanded her seat.

      Mrs. Parks refused, despite rules requiring black Americans to
      yield their seats to whites. Two black Montgomery women had been
      arrested earlier that year on the same charge, but Mrs. Parks was
      jailed. She also was fined $14.

      Speaking in 1992, she said history too often maintains "that my
      feet were hurting and I didn't know why I refused to stand up when
      they told me. But the real reason of my not standing up was I felt
      that I had a right to be treated as any other passenger. We had
      endured that kind of treatment for too long."

      Defiance launches 381-day boycott
      Her arrest triggered a 381-day boycott of the bus system organized
      by a then little-known Baptist minister, the Rev. Martin Luther King
      Jr., who later earned the Nobel Peace Prize for his work.

      "At the time I was arrested I had no idea it would turn into
      this," Mrs. Parks said 30 years later. "It was just a day like any
      other day. The only thing that made it significant was that the
      masses of the people joined in."

      The Montgomery bus boycott, which came one year after the U.S.
      Supreme Court's landmark declaration that separate schools for
      blacks and whites were "inherently unequal," marked the start of the
      modern civil rights movement.

      The movement culminated in the 1964 federal Civil Rights Act,
      which banned racial discrimination in public accommodations.

      After taking her public stand for civil rights, Mrs. Parks had
      trouble finding work in Alabama. Amid threats and harassment, she
      and her husband Raymond moved to Detroit in 1957. She worked as an
      aide in Conyers' Detroit office from 1965 until retiring Sept. 30,
      1988. Raymond Parks died in 1977.

      Mrs. Parks became a revered figure in Detroit, where a street and
      middle school were named for her and a papier-mache likeness of her
      was featured in the city's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

      Mrs. Parks said upon retiring from her job with Conyers that she
      wanted to devote more time to the Rosa and Raymond Parks Institute
      for Self Development. The institute, incorporated in 1987, is
      devoted to developing leadership among Detroit's young people and
      initiating them into the struggle for civil rights.

      "Rosa Parks: My Story" was published in February 1992. In 1994 she
      brought out "Quiet Strength: The Faith, the Hope and the Heart of a
      Woman Who Changed a Nation," and in 1996 a collection of letters
      called "Dear Mrs. Parks: A Dialogue With Today's Youth."

      She was among the civil rights leaders who addressed the Million
      Man March in October 1995.

      In 1996, she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, awarded
      to civilians making outstanding contributions to American life. In
      1999, she was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal, the nation's
      highest civilian honor.

      Mrs. Parks received dozens of other awards, ranging from induction
      into the Alabama Academy of Honor to an NAACP Image Award for her
      1999 appearance on CBS' "Touched by an Angel."

      The Rosa Parks Library and Museum opened in November 2000 in
      Montgomery. The museum features a 1955-era bus and a video that
      recreates the conversation that preceded Parks' arrest.

      "Are you going to stand up?" the bus driver asked.

      "No," Parks answered.

      "Well, by God, I'm going to have you arrested," the driver said.

      "You may do that," Parks responded.

      Mrs. Parks' later years were not without difficult moments.

      In 1994, Mrs. Parks' home was invaded by a 28-year-old man who
      beat her and took $53. She was treated at a hospital and released.
      The man, Joseph Skipper, pleaded guilty, blaming the crime on his
      drug problem.

      The Parks Institute struggled financially since its inception. The
      charity's principal activity — the annual Pathways to Freedom bus
      tour taking students to the sites of key events in the civil rights
      movement — routinely cost more money than the institute could raise.

      Mrs. Parks lost a 1999 lawsuit that sought to prevent the hip-hop
      duo OutKast from using her name as the title of a Grammy-nominated
      song. In 2000, she threatened legal action against an Oklahoma man
      who planned to auction Internet domain name rights to
      www.rosaparks.com.

      After losing the OutKast lawsuit, attorney Gregory Reed, who
      represented Mrs. Parks, said his client "has once again suffered the
      pains of exploitation." A later suit against OutKast's record
      company was settled out of court.

      She was born Rosa Louise McCauley on Feb. 4, 1913, in Tuskegee,
      Ala. Family illness interrupted her high school education, but after
      she married Raymond Parks in 1932, he encouraged her and she earned
      a diploma in 1934. He also inspired her to become involved in the
      NAACP.

      Taking nothing for granted
      Looking back in 1988, Mrs. Parks said she worried that black young
      people took legal equality for granted.

      Older black people, she said "have tried to shield young people
      from what we have suffered. And in so doing, we seem to have a more
      complacent attitude.

      "We must double and redouble our efforts to try to say to our
      youth, to try to give them an inspiration, an incentive and the will
      to study our heritage and to know what it means to be black in
      America today."

      At a celebration in her honor that same year, she said: "I am
      leaving this legacy to all of you ... to bring peace, justice,
      equality, love and a fulfillment of what our lives should be.
      Without vision, the people will perish, and without courage and
      inspiration, dreams will die — the dream of freedom and peace."
      © 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material
      may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by
      the moments that take our breath away.
    • Tyrone Anderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
        There were 3 seperate funerals for her 1.Detroit 2.DC 3.Alabama presidents and governors and mayor came to her funeral.  I will say that this woman did more for the country than most of our elected official combined

        Adeline <adeline_gros@...> wrote:
[...]

        "Man would rather be a little higher than the apes, than a little lower than the angels." -"I am Black & I am White, and know there is no difference. Each one casts a shadow, and all shadows are dark." -Walter White:

      • Adeline
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2005
          Indeed, this woman did more for the country
          than most of our elected officials combined.

          What matters most is not status, rank, intellect,
          but character, and Miss Rosa Parks had plenty.
          You don't have to be eloquent and write like a pro with
          all these beautiful verses straight from a best seller.
          What if Rosa Parks had waited to write a book, or get a PHD?
          Yes, really, God works in the little and humble things.

          Adeline

          Adeline <adeline_gros@y...> wrote:

[...]

          the start of the modern civil rights movement.