Re: [Generation-Mixed] Surnames?? Any similarities on your side?

  • Erica (Raven) Branch-Butler
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2005
      We have Branch, Butler, Grigsby, Hill,
      Kinnison, and Shepherd,in my family.

      We are a mix of African-American, Scots-Irish,
      English ,and Cherokee, along with a
      whole bunch of other stuff.
      Apparently a lot of the surnames in my family
      are associated with Melungeon families.

      Raven

      Nvwadohiyada Ale Nvwatohiyadv!
      (Peace and Blessings, in Tsalagi (Cherokee)

      spencerdelron <spencerdelron@...> wrote:

      I raised a point of relations with Americans in my previuos email.^

      Yes I know about slavemasters giving us there names, but that is not my point.

      Mine is Goss.

      Other well known coloured surnames;

      * Macdonald
      * Macpherson
      * Hendorson
      * Stevens
      * Nelson
      * Richards
      * Jenkins
      * Peters
      * Banks
      * Bartlett
      * Maccarthy
      * Nicholson
      * Jones

      Love and peace

      The list is endless

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2005
          Just One Question-

          How do you know what is a "colored" surname?

          Also, there are alot of jokes going around about people giving their children Afrocentric names. Personally, I don't understand what is the big deal. You don't hear the same kind of jokes and criticisms when people give their children other types of cultural or religious names like: Mercedes, Ari, or Gabriel.

          What are your thoughts on giving your child an Afrocentric name, or a name that you feel connects to your heritage? It does seem that most Afrocentric names are not purely African but a blending of African and American traditions?

          Best Regards, Lynn
        • spencerdelron