Coloured "race"

  • spencerdelron
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2005
      South Africa has one of the most complex race categories in the world.
      There are "monoracial" blacks with white ancestry, and whites with black ancestry.
      The coloureds by definition are a mixed race group.Multi-or first period.

      Not all coloureds however believe in their multiracialness.
      We have some serious on droppist as well.

      My aunt, has blond hair, and looks white and regard herself as
      "Black".She joined the African National Congress, when she was 14.

      On the extreme we have coloureds again trying to live as much as
      whites as they can afford.Passing use to be a normal occurrence.
      These coloureds are very prejudiced towards darker, ethnic Africans.

      We have about seven sub groups, although lines have become blurred, ie
      1.Cape Coloured, 2.Cape Malay,3,Griqua, 4.Nama,
      5.Basters (Bastards), 6.Buysdorp coloureds and
      7.Other coloured (mixture cannot be determined??)

      A unique mixture, also developed in the Kwa Zulu province, where Zulu Chiefs gave there
      daughters as gifts to white colonists that they befriended, in the 1700 and 1800.

      The Cape Coloured mixture is like the African American one.

      West African slaves were imported to the Cape(Colonists were at
      war with local tribes), and substantial inbreeding took place.

      Research has revealed that some Brazillian and African American
      Families are related to South African Coloureds, in the real sense.
      Slave families were broken up three ways and put on different ships.

      Will share more info later.

      Greetings all
    • Li (wiseladyowl)