Re: African American women ethnic identity and beauty prac...

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2005
      Those are excellent points you make Lynn!

      So often things that are essentially unrelated
      to one's Ethnicity are 'tied into' it
      when surveys are created and conducted.

      As a result -- quite often -- factors which may
      influence a person's life, life style and decisions
      are incorrectly attributed to their Ethnicity,
      when there is little, if any connection at all.

      -M

      P.S. It would have also been helpful if they had
      provided a space for additional comments such
      as what you noted to be provided in the survey.

      wintyreeve@a... wrote:

      Hello-

      I am a sociology major, so the methods I have been taught to conduct
      surveys may be different...
      But the survey seemed kind of vague. How do you determine what the
      answers mean? The first part was all about feelings. But how people
      feel may be related to alot of different factors. For example, I have
      an auto-immune disease with no cure. So lack of energy or feeling
      depressed are common from time to time...but have nothing to do with
      my perception of my ethnc identity. The beauty questions were also
      very short. I think you should consider how the media affects
      perceptions, and what was taught in the home.

      Good Luck! Lynn