Racial Admixture & Ancestry

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2005
      It should always be remembered that it has been repeatedly
      proven that superficial `racial admixture' judgment –those
      based on mere "appearance" (phenotype) –has been proven
      to be an inadequate `measurement' for determination of
      so-called "racial" lineage or heritage (genotype) and is
      also an adherence to the ODR (one-drop rule).

      The links below provide more perspectives on the
      issue of "racial admixture", phenotype & genotype:

      What is the relationship between your
      DNA and how you turn out as a person? …

      [[ " … there's no simple one-to-one relationship
      between the genotype and the phenotype.…
      it's not the case that every aspect of the
      phenotype is determined by the genes…." … ]]
      SOURCE:(Race: The Power of an Illusion)

      [["One of the other outcomes of all of this
      racial mixing is that there are families who
      are said to have children of different races."]]
      SOURCE:(Ethnicity and Race: The United States & Brazil)

      [["If we consider some peculiarities of Brazilian history
      and social structure, we can construct a model to
      explain why color should indeed be a poor predictor
      of African ancestry at an individual level.]]
      SOURCE: (Gene Expression: Brazil & Racial Admixure)

      [["[A]t an individual level, color, as determined by physical
      evaluation, is a poor predictor of genomic African
      ancestry, estimated by molecular markers"]]
      SOURCE: Color and genomic ancestry in Brazilians

      [["Until then, I had always been Black in the American imaginary.
      My skin tone is coffee with cream or double latte, ...
      my racial designation through most of my life.
      With this phenotype, I have been "black" in both capital
      and lowercase, Afro-American, African-American.
      ...I was even called a "colored girl" ...
      The names may have changed to protect the innocent,
      but the significance of being the opposite of white never did.
      ...[M]y own appearance had always warranted racial certainty.
      In America, I could never "pass."
      Upon arriving in Managua, however, the racial certainty
      I brought with me from the States evaporated.
      The features that locate me as Black in America do not map onto
      the unfamiliar turns and curves of the Nicaraguan structure of race...
      I learned that my brown skin and pouting lips might
      make me Miskito/Spanish, Caribbean/Spanish,
      African/Spanish, perhaps even pure Miskito.
      My brown skin was only the beginning of the interrogation rather
      than the end, an initial descriptor rather than a final conclusion.
      I slipped through the cracks of the … racial regime."]]
      SOURCE:Identity Notes – Plating in the Light

      Another example of being "multi-racial" (i.e. "mixed"), yet
      looking/appearing as "mono"-racial to the average person.

      Interesting Website: