Re: A note on Arab multiracial admixture

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
      Listed below are a few related links to interesting
      articles from an MGM-mixed American of Arab descent.

      http://www.popmatters.com/features/020910-911.shtml

      http://www.aaiusa.org/not_quite_white.htm
      http://www.nathanielturner.com/biglittlewhitelies.htm

      http://www.reparationsthecure.org/Articles/chehade1.shtml

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      <wintyreeve@a... >wrote:

      Hello Friends-

      I am not Arab at all but I had an experience a few weeks ago that
      gave me alot to think about. I went to see a new chiropractor, first
      time these people ever see me. I walk in the office wearing a head
      wrap and jeans. I get in the office around 10:30 in the morning. When
      the secretary is taking my payment she is all smiles, talking about
      how glad she is that I am early, how she didn't expect me until much
      later... I am thinking I'm only five minutes early, I surprised
      myself by not being late but it's not that big of a deal! The
      secretary registered me in under the name of "Samira". Turns out,
      Samira was supposed to be in the office at
      4:30 pm!!! Because I wore a wrap over my hair, she assumed I was
      Muslim and since "Samira" is the only "Muslim sounding" name in her
      books, I must be her. My real name, Lynn didn't fit the "profile".
      Not only that, while I was waiting in the lobby, I kept getting
      stared at. The staff made it a point to come up to me on several
      occasions, although they could do nothing to help me. Again, I was
      asked my name. Again, pause, stare, Then they would fumble around for
      an excuse..Do you want tea? Oh, the doctor is so good with his
      patients! There was no reason for them to come up to me like that.
      I didn't feel sorry for myself. Not at all. I just have a sense of
      stepping outside of myself for a minute, and really wondering what it
      is like for Arab-Americans? I live in the Midwest, and within the
      last 5 years my city has grown so much, become so much more diverse.
      I know that those who stare are in the minority..and really will be
      the minority in the near future. I also was thinking about how in my
      city so many neighborhoods are segregated. People tend to cluster
      with those in their race or religious group. Again, those
      neighborhoods are growing and changing too.
      And then there was a sense of being so naiive...Its one thing for
      people to look at you as different but Ithis was a different kind of
      look, more of a suspicion.
      All I know is that I am raising my kids to love who they are, and
      treat others with respect!

      Blessings, Lynn (GraceofWynn)
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2005
        Related Links of Interest:

        http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/ArabBlacks.htm
        http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Asia/Habshi.htm
        http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/Indians.htm

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "lenda aranir" <lendaaranir@y...> wrote:

        Hello to you all.I am lenda ethiopean/african and arab mixed.
        Thanks for the invite.
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2005
          Is anyone familiar with this site or organization
          http://www.seleda.com/oct01/mystory.shtml

          The author appears to be of MGM-Mixed East African lineage.

          "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

          Related Links of Interest:
          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/ArabBlacks.htm
          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Asia/Habshi.htm
          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/Indians.htm

          "lenda aranir" <lendaaranir@y...> wrote:

          Hello to you all.I am lenda ethiopean/african and arab mixed.
          Thanks for the invite.
        • dan rice
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 23, 2006
            New member. d
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
              Hi, Lynne=) Thanks for the ~WELCOME!~ I'm glad to be here.
              There are so many intelligent people here... especially when it
              comes to the subject of the group! I love that! Have a nice day=)
              Heather
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                Hi Heather, I can relate to alot of what you wrote in the other email with your bio.

                For me, the DNA test was a godsend because it helped me make peace with this
                part of the puzzle - a definition to my difference. I encourage you get one too

                Regards,
                Jeff

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                  Thanks, Jeff! Good advice=) Ultimately, that's probably my only option...  Heather

                • Anthony
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
                    Thank you for the invite

                    Jazz
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
                      Welcome to Generation Mixed Jazz :)

                      I hope you enjoy the group!

                      Blessings ~ Lynn (Minnesota)

                    • rubytuesdayfla
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
                        I just found and joined the group and sayin...Hello :)
                      • prettycutetk
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                          Welcome!

                          Tia