Re: [Generation-Mixed] A note on Arab multiracial admixture

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello Friends-

      I am not Arab at all but I had an experience a few weeks ago that gave me alot to think about. I went to see a new chiropractor, first time these people ever see me. I walk in the office wearing a head wrap and jeans. I get in the office around 10:30 in the morning. When the secretary is taking my payment she is all smiles, talking about how glad she is that I am early, how she didn't expect me until much later... I am thinking I'm only five minutes early, I surprised myself by not being late but it's not that big of a deal! The secretary registered me in under the name of "Samira". Turns out, Samira was supposed to be in the office at
      4:30 pm!!! Because I wore a wrap over my hair, she assumed I was Muslim and since "Samira" is the only "Muslim sounding" name in her books, I must be her. My real name, Lynn didn't fit the "profile".
      Not only that, while I was waiting in the lobby, I kept getting stared at. The staff made it a point to come up to me on several occasions, although they could do nothing to help me. Again, I was asked my name. Again, pause, stare, Then they would fumble around for an excuse..Do you want tea? Oh, the doctor is so good with his patients! There was no reason for them to come up to me like that.
      I didn't feel sorry for myself. Not at all. I just have a sense of stepping outside of myself for a minute, and really wondering what it is like for Arab-Americans? I live in the Midwest, and within the last 5 years my city has grown so much, become so much more diverse. I know that those who stare are in the minority..and really will be the minority in the near future. I also was thinking about how in my city so many neighborhoods are segregated. People tend to cluster with those in their race or religious group.  Again, those neighborhoods are growing and changing too.
      And then there was a sense of being so naiive...Its one thing for people to look at you as different but Ithis was a different kind of look, more of a suspicion.
      All I know is that I am raising my kids to love who they are, and treat others with respect!

      Blessings, Lynn (GraceofWynn)
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 2, 2005
        Listed below are a few related links to interesting
        articles from an MGM-mixed American of Arab descent.

        http://www.popmatters.com/features/020910-911.shtml

        http://www.aaiusa.org/not_quite_white.htm
        http://www.nathanielturner.com/biglittlewhitelies.htm

        http://www.reparationsthecure.org/Articles/chehade1.shtml

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2005
          Related Links of Interest:

          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/ArabBlacks.htm
          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Asia/Habshi.htm
          http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/Indians.htm

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          "lenda aranir" <lendaaranir@y...> wrote:

          Hello to you all.I am lenda ethiopean/african and arab mixed.
          Thanks for the invite.
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2005
            Is anyone familiar with this site or organization
            http://www.seleda.com/oct01/mystory.shtml

            The author appears to be of MGM-Mixed East African lineage.

            "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

            Related Links of Interest:
            http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/ArabBlacks.htm
            http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Asia/Habshi.htm
            http://www.colorq.org/MeltingPot/Africa/Indians.htm

            "lenda aranir" <lendaaranir@y...> wrote:

            Hello to you all.I am lenda ethiopean/african and arab mixed.
            Thanks for the invite.
          • dan rice
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 23, 2006
              New member. d
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                Hi, Lynne=) Thanks for the ~WELCOME!~ I'm glad to be here.
                There are so many intelligent people here... especially when it
                comes to the subject of the group! I love that! Have a nice day=)
                Heather
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hi Heather, I can relate to alot of what you wrote in the other email with your bio.

                  For me, the DNA test was a godsend because it helped me make peace with this
                  part of the puzzle - a definition to my difference. I encourage you get one too

                  Regards,
                  Jeff

                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Thanks, Jeff! Good advice=) Ultimately, that's probably my only option...  Heather

                  • Anthony
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
                      Thank you for the invite

                      Jazz
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
                        Welcome to Generation Mixed Jazz :)

                        I hope you enjoy the group!

                        Blessings ~ Lynn (Minnesota)

                      • rubytuesdayfla
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 13, 2007
                          I just found and joined the group and sayin...Hello :)
                        • prettycutetk
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
                            Welcome!

                            Tia