Race & The USCB

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2005
      Until the 1930 Census, the "multi"-racial ancestry of people of
      part-black admixture "multi"-racial ancestry was able to be openly
      acknowledged on U.S. Census Bureau forms – and via the
      "subjective determiniation" of US Census Bureau workers.

      Even though, out of spite, racial bias or straight-out bigotry,
      Census workers often thought nothing of falsely referring
      to a "multi"-racial who was of part-black ancestry as
      "N" for "Negro" or "B" for "Black"-- sometimes a "M"
      was placed on census forms representing "mulatto" and /
      or eventually a "C" was used for "colored" (which, at
      that time was indicative of "multi"-racial lineage).

      As a result of the application of racist One Drop Rule-based
      `Racial Integrity' Laws, all "multi"-racials with any part-black
      ancestry were `legally' labeled (and thus, misidentified) as being
      "black" or "negro" under the racist of the concept of `hypo-descent'

      In 1967, the US Supreme Court decision for Loving v. Virginia,
      ruled that `Racial Integrity' Laws were unconstitutional –
      which thereby should also have resulted in the overturning
      the `legality' of the One Drop /.Hypo-descent Rule.

      Even today, however, because so many have had parents
      and grandparents who were `legally' mis-identified on Census
      Forms and by Census-based Birth/School/Death Records,
      in the past -- millions of people who are clearly of
      MGM-Mixed are still being misidentified as "mono"-racial.

      [[MGM-Mixed==Multi-Generational Multiracially Mixed]]

      http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0056.html
      http://fisher.lib.virginia.edu/scripts/pagewriter_ref.php?ors[]
      =ƒ&title==Statistical%
      20Indexes&intro==/www/doc/reference/describeindexes.html
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 13, 2005
        Hello-

        I have done census research....it can be helpful but I have found that the census is not always accurate.
        Names are misspelled, the years of birth may be off, writing may be sloppy.
        I did find something interesting.... doing census research in Perry County, Alabama
        I found a large number of people in the town of Radfordville listed as "mulatto".
        I think some of the problems with the census are with the census taker--besides
        racial attitudes of the day, who knows their level of education or qualifications.
        And the modern day standards may be much higher, or different than what was used in the past.
        You also have to consider the information being offered. Some families hid their mixed-race identity or tried to pass for another race.
        What people report will also be shaped on how they perceive the census taker--if they feel comfortable in giving out information.

        Just A Thought..Lynn

        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 1, 2006

          Racial Mis-Categorization & The USCB

          Until the 1930 Census, the "Multi"-Racial Ancestry
          of the people who were of some part-Black admixture
          was openly acknowledged on U.S. Census Bureau
          Forms – (BUT -- unfortunately, was also left up
          to the scrutiny and sole-decision of the "subjective
          determination" of US Census Bureau workers.

          Even though, out of spite, racial bias or straight-out
          bigotry, the census workers often thought nothing
          of falsely referring to a "Multi"-Racial who was of
          part-Black ancestry as "N" for "Negro" or "B" for
          "Black" ----- sometimes an "M" was placed on the
          census forms representing "Mulatto" ("Mixed-Race")
          and / or eventually a "C" was used for "Colored" (which,
          at that time was indicative of "Multi"-Racial lineage).

          As a result of the application of Racist 'One Drop
          Rule'-based so-called "Racial-Integrity Laws", all
          of the "Multi"-Racials who were of any amount
          of part-Black ancestry were "legally- labeled"
          (and thus, misidentified) as being "Black" or "Negro"
          under the Racist of the concept of `Hypo-Descent'.

          In 1967, the US Supreme Court decision for
          Loving v. Virginia, ruled that the so-called
          "Racial-Integrity Laws" were Unconstitutional
          –which thereby should also have resulted in
          the overturning the "legality" of the application
          of the Racist "One Drop /Hypo-descent Rule".

          Even today, however, --- simply because so very many
          Multi-Generational Multi-Racially Mixed (MGM-Mixed)
          people have had parents and / or  grandparents who were
          "legally-misidentified" on previous Census Forms (and
          by Census-based Birth/School/Death Records, in the past)
          -- millions of people who are clearly of MGM-Mixed
          lineage are still finding themselves  continually
          misidentified as being of "mono"-racial lineage.

          [[MGM-Mixed=Multi-Generational Multiracially Mixed]]

          http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0056.html

          Related Links:

        • docilechicken24
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
            This is what is quite confusing to me, the term of Mixed-Race when
            only the 'One-Drop Rule' exists in United States, even if it wasn't
            always like that in the census it has been the predominant racial
            concept that has governed our country. A drop made you "other".

            It is confusing because, from where I stand, 80-90%
            of "black" people are Mixed-Race and are Mulattoes.

            I have and I'm sure we all have met people [who are] “black" [and]
            who also have Indian, Chinese, and White ancestry in their heritage.

            The big question is, when does the definition of being "black"
            start reflecting what it actually means in this country (what
            it means refers to the composition of the members of the
            group called "black"), you are "black" or have been "black"
            (in this country) when you have a discernable or
            even provable on paper amount of african ancestry.

            I do recognize that conceptions are starting
            to change about who is Black or who is not.

            To me, Mixed-Race is basically implied within the label
            "black" due to the history and its present composition.

            I would agree that it was jacked up that America decided
            to impose such an abomination as the 'One-Drop Rule',
            but a bit of color changed your status and so that is how
            people have been interacting for a long time now.

            I am conflicted about solidarity. Either take a Mixed-Race title
            which divides and distinguishes us from our other "black" sisters
            and brothers (who are -- I'd argue by definition of "black" in
            America -- predominantly Mixed-Race) or accept the traditional label
            of "blackness" even though sometimes it feels like it doesn't fit.

            As far as being true to my other Ethnic influences regardless
            of the "racial" 'identification' I choose, I am sure to reveal
            all of my cultural backgrounds, White and Non-white..

            In reality, from my 'experiences', if I say I am Mixed-Race, I
            will be received by white people better and "black people" worse.

            This is the issue I have been battling with in
            my 'identity' [in choosing to say] "black" or
            Mixed-Race ... lately I have favored "black".

            The big conflict comes because an 'identification' as Mixed-Race,
            although my purpose would be accuracy of 'experiences', there
            is I believe still a differing and (better more acceptable) social
            status to those who consider themselves and identify themselves
            as Mixed-Race than as "black" or even [as] African-American.

            I can't help but feeling that although I don't mean to
            be snobby and telling people I am better than them,
            I still kind of am [giving that impression].

            What do y'all think, have any of y'all struggled with this issue.

            Dustin

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
              One of the reasons that [certain members of] the
              black community and political leadership has been
              a supporter of the One-Drop rule is that it increases
              their numbers and therefore their political clout.
              There is a fear that were all people of mixed ancestry to
              start labelling themselves as such that statistically the
              "black" population would no longer be a signifigant demographic,
              ----- especially since it has been eclipsed by Hispanics.
              Also, arguably, composition was never an issue so
              whether Mulatto, Passe-Blanc or almost Pure-African
              descent --- one's experience --- professionally,
              legally and sociologically were basically the same
              Post Civil War up until The Civil Rights Movement.

              Perhaps Hispanics are the best comparison to the concept
              of "blackness" in the US (even if it may be silly to us)
              in the sense that they aren't concerned with what
              percentage of which is their composition but instead
              see themselves as a 'unified' Culturally-Based 'Identity'.
              Being "black" often means the same thing
              (though I know there are alot of exceptions).
              [The term] "black" then transcends a racial
              classification and becomes a Cultural-Identity
              by virtue of sociological foundations /
              shared history and a default caste since
              one can never really rise above it.

              In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com,
              "multiracialbookclu b" <soaptalk@.. .> wrote:

[...]

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1421
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1421>

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1418
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1418>

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1417
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1417>

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1386
              <http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Generation -Mixed/message/ 1386>

            • tlbaker1
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006
                Dustin, I agree with all your comments' �black� people
                [being] mixed-race even [if] just from slavery only.

                Well, for me I have been in a state of confusion about my
                race and mostly family members on and off for a while
                since I was very little until about 10-15 years ago.
                We would go visit the relatives in NC / VA, etc., and I
                would see these �white� looking people who were supposed
                to be �black� or at least I assumed they were because
                they were my family or was told, can't remember now.
                I was 5ish at the time I was very
                weirded out by these "strange" people.
                I remember my mother trying to explain to me why I looked
                different from the other little girls at school / block.

                My grandfather whom was in WW2 who go to the �black� /
                �colored� mess hall and people who ask him why he is there.
                He said 'I am �black� (may have called himself �colored�),
                can't you tell (not really) look at my hair' (ok,
                so he doesn't have straight blonde hair...).
                He was fighting to[be] black it seems.

                Then I grew up w/the "different" mother who didn't look like everyone
                else's mother, I used to think she was �white� when I was very little.
                Father is dark skinned, mixed race as well.
                Seems as though back in the 60's / 70's and before being
                Mixed / biracial (especially biracial) was something
                that was not talked about much -- as though it didn't
                exist - period you were �pure black� that's it.
                Maybe because back then it was taboo because most people thought
                it was directly related to slavery or you shouldn't be proud to
                be mixed w/White people as they were the oppressor, who knows.
                But it seems it was OK to be mixed w/Native though - I think
                it was OK to be mixed w/Native in the 70's for anyone, pretty
                fashionable back then to claim Native ancestry, still is...
                I had a Cher doll that was darker than I am w/long black
                hair down to her knees in the 70's - she looks nothing
                like that now, well never really did, somewhat, though.
                I once asked a friend at day camp once (I was about 10, I grew
                up in the Bronx) if she were mixed and you would have thought I
                asked her if she were �, she didn't answer, was kind of afraid -
                maybe because we were young.I wasn't going to stop being her f
                riend or make fun of her, I was just curious, already knew anyway.
                She looked like a �white� girl w/a very deep tan
                even her hair was completely straight, no curl at all.
                Her brother, on the other hand, told us his father was
                Italian, we were having some kind of deep conversation.
                I recall having pretty deep discussions w/my friends when
                I was young especially about race and they were pretty
                accurate too for the most part now that I recall.

                So, the point I am trying to make is that although I �identify�
                with being �black� and have no problem w/it; however, I was
                unable to categorize myself as I knew I was "different"
                because of my ancestry but because I was not quote unquote
                �biracial� (although if you saw my mother you might think
                otherwise) and sometimes look �more biracial� than people who
                actually are (we know this doesn't matter just my trying to sort
                out my �identity� prior to �enlightenment�, LOL) then 'what I am I'.

                I once had a conversation w/a biracial guy friend of my telling him
                that he had an explanation for who he was but �what was my deal?�.

                I actually found this group by accident,looking
                for African-American Incredimail yahoogroup
                (www.incredimail.com) an email
                program with picture stationery.

                The groups share and create
                the stationary, I have tons.

                I read the description and joined.

                Lynne

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • tlbaker1
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 2, 2006

                  If everyone started labelling themselves as mixed race do you
                  think the demographic would actually change (maybe on paper?).
                  Will the government / establishment simply say OK,
                  this is what "they" are calling themselves these day....

                  Not in this lifetime

                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                    I am new here. My daughter is 11 and she is 1/2 black and /White..
                    I posted a pic of us under the kid section.
                    We live in California. Where is everyone else from ?
                    Susan
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                      Hi Susan, ,

                      Welcome to 'Gen-Mixed'!

                      We are so glad that you decided to
                      become a part of our
                      online community.=D>

                      This is a great group and we are sure you will have
                      the chance to meet a lot of fantastic new friends
                      here -- who understand many of your experiences
                      as the parent of a Bi-Racial / Mixed-Race child.:)

                      Welcome again -- and have a great day!!!

                      -- M

                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006

                        Wow ... that's great!!!

                        You -- like so many other people here --- are
                        a great member -- what you've shared has
                        been so helpful -- and we are all so glad
                        that you've joined 'the community' !!=D>

                        Hey... ya' know what I'm starting to think
                        ... maybe it wasn't even an 'ac-ci-dent'
                        ... so much as it was 'pro-vi-dence'.  ;;)

                        Have a great day, Lynne!!! :)

                        "tlbaker1" <tlbaker1@...> wrote:

                        ... I actually found this group by accident
                        ... I read the description and joined.

                        Lynne

                      • SUSAN ROSHAU
                        Message 11 of 15 , Nov 3, 2006
                          Thanks for the warm welcome !

                          "Susan" <sroshau@...> wrote:

                           I am new here. My daughter is 11 and she is 1/2 black and /White..
                           I posted a pic of us under the kid section.
                           We live in California. Where is everyone else from ?
                           Susan

                          Susan Roshau

                        • tlbaker1
                          Message 12 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                            Hi Susan,

                            Welcome, I am from NYC, no children, just me!!
                            This is a great place to be.

                            Lynne

                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006

                              Thanks, Multi, it is great to be here indeed.

                              I always thought you had to actually be biracial w/one
                              Black parent and one White parent to be of true Mixed-Race.

                              But then I found myself not quite fitting into the
                              definition of being Black so I just tried to adapt
                              as best as I could - not White not quite Black either.

                              It is really more of a spiritual thing rather than
                              appearance as I am not looking in the mirror all day long.
                              I do feel the presence of my ancestors at times w/in me.

                              Lynne

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 4, 2006
                                 I actually live in nortrthern california. welcome

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 20, 2010

                                  http://boards.mulatto.org/post/show_single_post?pid=34070161&postcount;=13

                                  http://mgmix.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=879:light-skin-curse-a-different-point-of-view&catid=36:biracial#comment-1271

                                  http://boards.mulatto.org/post/show_single_post?pid=34070414&postcount;=14