Hurricane Katrina ... and the American government and media response

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
      In addition to the media using the term "finders" for white
      survivors and "looters" for non-white survivors (even though
      most of them all displayed the same actions and took the
      same things) -- I found it offensive that they also were
      originally referring to the non-white surviving American
      citizens as "refugees" (as if they were foreigners) rather
      than as "evacuees" (which indicates their citizenship)...
      and I won't even go into my feelings on how it was possible
      that the majority of the middle-class white citizens were able
      to both escape and find themselves immediately evacuated into
      the safety found in surrounding states -- while the non-white and
      less affluent were left on highways and at the Metrodome without
      food, medicine, emergency medical personnel; working bathroom
      facilities, police protection or even bottled drinking water.

      Also, I was just curious to know if anyone else has any opinions
      on the matter of whether or not they felt the media and the
      federal government seemed to have shown discrimination and
      bias in it's treatment of the storm victims and survivors?

      Related Links:

      http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050903/35019.html?.v=1

      http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=68727

      http://www.afro-netizen.org/

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050901/pl_afp/usweatherbushpolitics_0509
      01185354&printer=1

      http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/24871
    • lenda aranir

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005

            In addition to the media using the term "finders" for white survivors and "looters" for non-white survivors (even though most of them all displayed the same actions and took the same things)

            Gifts:

            The “media” didn’t use the term “finders” for white survivors.  One AP reporter (ONE ONLY and for ONLY ONE story) used the term in conjunction with ONE photo taken of what appeared to me to be a white male and Creole or Latino woman who found bread and other groceries floating in the middle of the street.  The food was not sitting on a store shelf.  It was floating down the street in the nasty, polluted water.  How does one “loot” a river of sewage and toxic chemicals flowing down the street?

            The initiator of this “looting” vs. “finding” controversy originally claimed that Yahoo! intentionally selected these images and hand captioned the stories.  This was a bold-faced lie.  Yahoo! News does not provide captions for the newswire stories they run.  When called out for this lie by actual journalists and photographers, he backpedaled and made excuses.  Now the original webpage that had hosted the photos is closed from public view.

            Not surprising, given the caustic and abusive behaviour of the initiator of this controversy in his own photo album forum towards anyone who offered a different viewpoints.  And, of course, many talking heads and other opportunists have seized on the controversy to garner some more ink for themselves.

            James Landrith
            james@...
            cell: 703-593-2065 * fax: 760-875-8547
            AIM: jlnales * ICQ: 148600159
            MSN and Yahoo! Messenger: jlandrith
            Taking the Gloves Off - http://www.jameslandrith.com
            The Multiracial Activist - http://www.multiracial.com
            The Abolitionist Examiner - http://www.multiracial.com/abolitionist/

          • James Landrith
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
              lenda aranir <lendaaranir@y...> wrote:

              <I was just about to bring the refugee topic up again.
              Can you believe these people calling citizens refugees.>

              Yes, I can. Given that "refugee" actually means "one seeking refuge"
              according to Merriam-Webster (and has meant that for decades) not
              *just* one seeking refuge across international boundaries. The form
              of refuge sought is not limited to another nation or simply on the
              basis of political persecution, although that is the most often used
              terminology in THIS country. The "international boundaries"
              definition is the politicized version of the definition spawned via
              the United Nations.

              Some of this outrage sounds suspiciously like nationalistic
              bigotry. Its almost as if folks believe that American citizens are
              so much better than "those people", meaning political refugees from
              other nations. I wonder if this controversy over a perfectly
              acceptable human rights term would even exist if not for the fact
              that the majority of the population in New Orleans in non-white?
              Doubtful.

              It reeks of making special exceptions and objections to terminology
              solely on the basis of skin color and nationality. There is nothing
              racial about seeking refuge. Further, by elevating Americans above
              all others it gives the unfortunate appearance of superiority and
              arrogance.

              James Landrith
              http://jameslandrith.com
              http://multiracial.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                Actually ... if memory serves me correctly ...
                in the past, when devestation has hit an area
                (ex. Hurricane Hugo, Hurricane Andrew, etc.),
                the people who I saw that were forced to seek safety
                elsewhere (particularly those who were middle classed white
                citizens) were "generally" referred to as being "Evacuees".

                This really is the first time I have ever
                seen citizens "generally" referred to as
                "Refugees" under these circumstances.

                And again -- I am not just speaking of national
                media here -- I am also speaking of local media.

                Perhaps the local media in some areas expressed
                more sensitivity than it has done in other areas.

              • james@jameslandrith.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                  jackie brown wrote: "Maybe they consider the fact that they have lost
                  their homes, so now they are refugees???"

                  Also, the term was indeed used for other hurricanes where the majority
                  populations were white/Latino:

                  Hurricane Andrew
                  http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/sfl-sbuildaug20,0,5553762.story

                  Hurricane Frances
                  http://rdu.news14.com/content/weather/weather_stories/?ArID=54540&SecID=299

                  Hurricane Ivan
                  http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/1021886.html

                  Hurricane Charley (via Nexis):
                  Associated Press, August 27, 2004 Friday, “Charlie Refugees Stay in
                  Temporary Campers”

                  So why is it acceptable to use for majority white and Latino populations
                  in Southern Florida and the Carolina coasts, but magically racist when the
                  population affected is majority black/Creole in Louisiana?

                  http://multiracial.com/content/view/50/27/

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                    Hi James,

                    Thanks for sharing this additional information with us in
                    regards to the guy who made the statements against Yahoo.

                    The "media" that I was referring to, however, did not include
                    this person -- but rather, was largely a reference to what I
                    witnessed on both local and national 'television' media in which
                    I saw film images of the survivors and heard with my own ears
                    two different terms used inreference to the two groups of people.

                    Local media (at least in some areas) was, at least in my humble
                    opinion, even more biased in it's expressions, terminology
                    and seeking to sensationalize an already tragic situation
                    than national media (who I assume must have been told early
                    on to not continue making 'distinctions' between the two groups).

                    Anyway -- I do appreciate the information you've shared
                    about the guy who wrote against Yahoo! news coverage in
                    an apparent attempt to possibly add more fuel to the
                    fire and create even more controversy in this tragedy.

                    Thanks again for sharing.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 6, 2005
                      [James wrote:

                      "So why is it acceptable to use for majority white and
                      Latino populations in Southern Florida and the Carolina
                      coasts, but magically racist when the population
                      affected is majority black/Creole in Louisiana?"]

                      My reply:

                      That's a good question.

                      It seems to me that the term should not be and never have been
                      considered as "acceptable" at all in any of these situations --
                      if one is referring to people who are citizens of a given location.

                      For me, this is not a matter of 'political correctness"
                      (as I am certainly not in the least bit a PC-person),
                      its' more of a matter of not allowing national and
                      local media to give this sense of "otherness" to
                      people who only days earlier were the same as
                      any other citizen and now simply need temporary
                      help from the nation to whom they have paid
                      taxes and contributed in every other way.

                      None of the citiznes who were in any of these
                      tragedies are "refugees" and national and local
                      media had no right to refer to them as such.

                      Just a thought.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                        That's interesting. You are the only peerson I've seen
                        say the looting vs. finding controversy was TV related.
                        Everyone else (google, blogs, pundits, civil rights
                        groups, etc.) referred to the same photos I debunked below.

                        The guy I mentioned below was not simply adding more fuel to the
                        fire. He was the originator of the controversy from the very start.

                        ___
                        James Landrith
                        cell: 703-593-2065 * fax: 760-875-8547
                        AIM: jlnales * ICQ: 148600159
                        Yahoo!: jlandrith * MSN: jlandrith
                        http://multiracial.com
                        http://jameslandrith.com
                        http://jameslandrith.com/wordpress/

[...]

                      • john

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                            I do not agree in any way with calling our own "refugees"...just stating maybe why they are doing so.

                            I think much of this is way too ridiculous for words.  They knew this was coming,
                            how strong it was, they knew the levy would not hold it.  Yet, it took days for relief to happen.

                            Now, the mayor of N.O. has ok'd for National Guard to forcibly remove people from what little property they have left.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                              The information that you shared on that guy is really appreciated.

                              Most of what I've seen regarding the hurricane has come from the
                              comments made by local and nation t.v. reporters -- so I wasn't
                              even aware of him and his actions until you mentioned him.

                              Thanks again.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005
                                [[["jackie brown" <jqcqueline_brown@...> wrote:

                                I think much of this is way too ridiculous for words.
                                They knew this was coming, how strong it was, they knew the
                                levy would not hold it. Yet, it took days for relief to happen.
                                Now, the mayor of N.O. has ok'd for National Guard to forcibly
                                remove people from what little property they have left.]]]

                                Now that IS a real controversy. I'm pissed that Bush initially spent half
                                a day in Mississippi mourning the loss of Trent Lott's vacation house,
                                rather than walking the streets of New Orleans.

                                I'm pissed that FEMA refused delivery from 3 Wal-Mart semis full of water
                                sent to the Superdome. Yet at the same time FEMA still hadn't provided any
                                food or water.

                                I'm pissed that a 17 year kid is going to be prosecuted for commandeering a
                                school bus in order to help men, women and children flee the rising
                                floodwater.

                                I'm pissed that mixed in with the tens of thousands who were unable to
                                flee, that there are many who did indeed have the means to leave, but
                                didn't. Every person who could get out but didn't is making it that much
                                harder on those who couldn't flee this disaster for health or financial
                                reasons by draining away those limited resources.

                                I'm pissed that alarms have been sounded for decades about the very
                                possibility of a disaster this immense occuring in NO were largely ignored
                                by people in all levels of government.

                                I'm pissed that FEMA kept volunteer rescue workers out of the city for
                                several days.

                                I'm pissed that due to development upriver, the traditional floodplain that
                                would have helped protect NO is all but gone.

                                And I'm pissed that it likely that after the reconstruction begins, NO will
                                once again be out in the open and exposed without the necessary floodplain
                                and a stronger levee.

                                -----
                                James Landrith

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 7, 2005

                                    And another REAL problem to get upset about, rescuers being reprimanded:

                                    Navy Pilots Who Rescued Victims Are Reprimanded DAVID S. CLOUD September 7, 2005 http://nytimes.com/2005/09/07/national/nationalspecial/07navy.html