Speaking of Mixed-Race Hair ...

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 23, 2005
      Listed below are a few books that I strongly recommend for
      the personal library of any person who is Mixed-raced.

      --Andre Talks Hair (Andre Walker)
      --Curly Girl (Lorraine Massey)
      --Good Hair (Lottice Bonner)
      --Textured Hair (Paula T. Renfroe)
      --Let's Talk Hair (Pamela Ferrell)
      --All About Hair Care (Naomi Sims)
      --Hair Savers for Women (Margaret Greenwood-Robinson)

      These books provide some excellent great information, advice,
      perspectives on insight caring for the wide range of hair
      types and textures often found among Mixed-raced people.

      Most of the books deal essentialy for 'caring' for one's
      hair -- rather than how to make a particular hair 'style'.

      All of them are extremely helpful for hair care;
      many of them are quite humorous (ex. `Curly Girl'
      and the tongue-in-cheek titled `Good Hair').

      If anyone has been considering reading any of these books,
      I would strongly advise that they visit their local (or
      even online) library or bookstore and `check them out'.'

      One book I would not recommend that anyone spend their time reading
      or their money purchasing, however, is "Hair Rules" (by A. Dickey).

      The book is far too-basic and provides absolutely no true insight
      or tips whatsoever (at least beyond what is obvious) for anyone
      who has or has dealt with any type of textured hair type and
      barely even addresses hair types that have very little texture..

      Related Links:

      http://www.curlmart.com/Textured-Tresses-by-Diane-Da-Costa-p-176.html
      http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Girl-by-Lorraine-Massey-p-153.html
      http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/books.php

      quallagirl <latonyabeatty76@y...> wrote:

      You are right. That is narrow minded for people to think that way.

      When a person is mixed with any race, then it
      is possible to inherit the genes from any one.

      For example, I have 3 younger sibblings who are Latino desecent.
      Well, my sister's hair is more coarse and unmanagable than mine.
      It could be that she took more after the black side.
      However, my youngest sister and brother's hair is more of a silky
      and curly texture. Same with my children whoes father is Latino.
      My daughter's hair is silky and curly.
      My son's hair is more of a black hair texture.

      That doesn't mean that one person is more or less mixed than the
      person who has frizzy or coarse hair. The same with hair color.

      We are taught that certain races of people have certain
      distinctive characteristics. When we see someone who
      doesn't meet the expectaions of the certain race,
      we assume that they are of another race.

      We can't always go by looks especially if a person is mixed blood.

      I use to be guilty of that when I didn't know any better.
      Now I don't judge people based on the way they look.
      I wouldn't want people to do that to me.

      Tonya

      Tell me about it ... in fact ... I would
      like to even inquire still further:

      "Why do many people tend to walk up to us and grab
      at or touch our hair ... without even first asking?"

      At least, at one point (I would hope), society used
      to be polite enough to first 'ask' -- and thus alot us
      the opportunity to respond with a 'no!', 'yes.' or 'why?'

      Still another question I have is "why do people seem to assume
      that there is actually 'one set, singular type of or standard
      for' Mixed-race hair (particularly when any amount or
      chronology of black-admixture comes into the picture)?

      Although my hair has a curly-pattern that people often 'expect'
      to see among us tri-racials -- it utterly never ceases to amaze
      me how often I encounter people who will insist that some other
      tri-racial person is 'not-mixed' simply because that person has
      hair which has an "extremely textured" or "extremely straight"
      pattern than they expected; or is much darker or lighter than they
      expected; or is simply worn longer or shorter than they expected.

      It's as if the person making this rather false and racist
      pre-'judgment' has simply concluded that 'Mixed' must be
      limited to only 'one' set look and anything deviating
      from that look 'must' be listed as 'mono'-racial.

      Such an attiude is just crazy -- not to mention insulting
      to the fact that we Mixed people can take on any number of
      appearances and features -- all of which are 'valid' and
      only add to the fact of the fantastic range of diversity
      found among our many people and types of admixtures.

      "SAY IT LOUD .. WE'RE 'ALL' MIXED AND WE'RE PROUD"

      jackie brown <jqcqueline_brown@y...> wrote:

      ...Why do people ask to feel our hair?...

      multiracialbookclub <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Would anyone like to share with us a bit more
      about themselves and their MGM-Mixed lineage?

      For instance, are you considered to be a
      'cascos', 'griffe', 'mulatto', 'quadroon',
      'creole', 'octoroon' 'metis', 'melungeon',
      etc. (pardon the archaic terminologies)?

      Can you also share with and tell us
      more about your ancestry and what
      "racial" categories (ex. asian, white,
      black, amerindian) as well as what
      "ethnic" groups (ex. irish, scottish, arab,
      african-american, west indian, latino, lumbee,
      etc.) are a part of your ancestral lineage?

      Some members have already shared with us a
      bit of their lineage and heritage -- but for
      those who haven't, I thought this would be
      an opportunity to do so and for those who
      have, I thought this could be a chance
      to share more, if they would like.

      :D

      By the way, I am of tri-racial
      (black-white-amerindian) lineage.

      My "ethnicity" is African-American (AA)
      -- which, although many often referred
      to it by the socio-political term "black",
      it should be remembered that the AAs
      are actually largely an MGM-Mixed
      "ethnic" group and are actually
      not a 'mono'-racial "black"
      people grouping at all.

      My other ethnic heritages consists of
      Irish and Muskogee Creek Amerindian.
      My familiarity with Irish and Creek
      heritage is not as broad as is that
      of my AA heritage -- but I have been
      familiarizing myself with both
      groups as well in recent years.

      Most people have described me as being
      "cascos" -- although I'm not sure if
      that term adequately fits my 'full'
      lineage because the Amerindian portion
      certainly should not be left out.

      For now, I simply refer to myself as
      being "Mixed" (of the MGM variety);
      my "race" as being "Tri-racial" (Black,
      White, Amerindian); my "Ethnicity"
      as being AA (culture-wise) and as
      AA/Creek/Irish (ancestry-wise).

      Isn't it great that we all live in a day and
      age wherein people can -- for the most part --
      feel safe and free enough to embrace the sum
      of all the racial, ethnic and cultural parts that
      combined in order for them to be created?!?!?!!!!! :D

      Have a great day all !!!!

      Related Links:

    • john
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 23, 2005
        One time a guy was looking at my hair,that's when I had it brushed forward low croped.He actually said to me that I have white people hair.Now that is a little too extreme. My hair was just curly with thick waves.He didn't even say wavy but skip to white people hair.Then he quickly assume that I had to be biracial. Then I had to tell him my family ancestrial linage.The he said not too many 'black folks have hair like mines.

[...]

        "SAY IT LOUD .. WE'RE 'ALL' MIXED AND WE'RE PROUND"

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,

      • Tonya

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 23, 2005
            Hi John.

            Don't you hate it when people try to tell you what you are. When I
            worked a Sears several years ago, one of the co-workers approached me.
            Out of the blue, she asked if I was white. I wore colored contacts then
            but I didn't come anything close to looking white. I told her about
            my Indian lineage and she said that it was hard to beleive.

            She said that I was pretty. She also told me that a lot of 'black
            girls are not pretty so I guess she assumed that I was white. I was
            offended by that remark. I told her that you have pretty and ugly in
            all races. I think that she was kinda off anyway. She would always
            ask for my pic too.

            Last year I ran into her again. She worked at this pizza place and
            went to pick it up. My son was with me and she asked if he was
            white. Hello! I haven't been back since. Some people are just rude.
            I would never tell a person they are or aren't something even
            if I didn't think so. It is nobody's place.

            Tonya

            One time an guy was looking at my hair,that's when I had it brushed

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 23, 2005
              Hello Friends-

              One day I really messed up trying to do my daughter's hair... Thank goodness she is too young to realize the damage! I was brushing Jaelynn's hair and getting frustrated because all the barrettes and binders would just slip out. I can't even hold her hair in a ponytail...it's just too straight and fine. Won't curl either. But it flies all around like my hair, all wild. So I thought why not just put a little grease in it. Yeah, grease will help hold in a barrette or two.
              WRONG! The grease my Jaelynn's hair stick to her head like I put super glue it it!! She looked like an Exxon oil spill on her head!! Then the grease would not wash out!! Took a week to get just that little amount out.

              I found a great product by Culture called "7 Day Relaxer" that works well with Jaelynn's hair...keeping it tame. Have to use a thick conditioner or cholesterol too. Still won't hold a ponytail..hehe..but I know now that things could be worse!! Especially to have your mom post the whole fiasco on the internet..hehe.

              Blessings, Lynn
            • john
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 24, 2005
                Very true tonya!Plus they exaderate your features also.

                john <reddgold_32@y...> wrote:

[...]

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Pamela ZAHM

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 24, 2005
                      I remember trying to relax my hair using a cheap product called Vigorol when I was 17
                      - it left it limp and smelly and squeaky clean but it was still curly.

                      Never did the hotcomb though - I was warned it would make my hair fall out.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 24, 2005
                        These stories are great -- some are just hysterical.

                        They remind me a lot about the books "Good Hair"
                        (-Lottice Bonner) and "Curly Girl" (-Lorrain Massey)

                        By the way, I remember seeing the Vigorol product advertised.
                        Someone else I knew back when I was in either
                        high school or college also said the product
                        had a strange smell they didn't like.

                        Also -- if anyone ever has a hard time getting a product out of
                        their hair ... a beautician friend of mine once told me that a
                        "dry wash" (which is adding only shampoo to the hair --- with
                        no water at all --and gently 'washing' with it and leaving it
                        in for about 5 minutes ) -- followed by a "regular shampooing"
                        is the best way to remove any pretty much any product whatsoever.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 24, 2005
                            Flat-irons are also pretty popular.

                            Has anyone very tried or heard of that Maxi-Glide hair iron?

                            They even sell a mini version for use by women with
                            short-cropped hair and by men with 'textured' hair.

                            wintyreeve@... wrote:

[...]

                          • quallagirl

                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 24, 2005
                                Yes -- and on the infomercial, they sprayed something on the
                                hair that was to leave it straight and keep it from curling
                                or even re-frizzing even if a person were in a steam room.

                                Personally, I think that 'spray' sounds too good to be true and I'm
                                not sure about the idea of advising that someone use the option they
                                showed on TV of ironing one's hair even while it's wet (wet hair,
                                especially if it's 'textured' to any degree) is very vulnerable,
                                easily damanged and prone to splitting and breaking off.

                                But still ... just once, I'd like to meet anyone who's tried any
                                part of the Maxi-Glide System and find out what they think of it.

                                :D

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 25, 2005
                                      Hi Friends-

                                      My friend, she is White, decided she would like to style my hair. Now my hair looks wavy, and sometimes straight but is very thick & stubborn as a mule. Well I didn't think she could do anything wrong, so I let her go at it. She said she would just curl the ends...no problem until I heard this hiiiiiisssss. Sounded like a rattlesnake was caught in my hair!! Hiiiissssss. Then there was this burning smell... I jumped up, and as I did so the curling iron ripped from the wall. The cord was dangling in the air. I was thinking to myself...Why is the cord floating in the air? Laugh* My friend was using one of those curling irons that have spikes, like a hair brush. The curling iron got stuck in my hair!!! (Btw I saw that happen on "Everybody Loves Raymond" once). Took three hours, and some snipping to cut it out. Never again, quote the Raven!

                                      Blessings, Lynn
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 25, 2005
                                        Rolling on the Floor Laughing... So funny Pam!