FW: [COMMENTARY] The Myth of Native American Blood

  • Kimberly Major
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11 10:18 PM
      http://www.boston.com/community/blogs/hyphenated_life/2012/06/the_myth_of_native_american_bl.html

      Any thoughts on this Boston.com commentary?

      - Kim

      --
      ~~~~~~~~~
      "The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them." - Thomas Merton

    • Connie Ware-Berg
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12 12:25 PM
        My thoughts here would start with what is Native American Blood? Are they type O? Are they type O- or O+? From what I have read American Indian do have O- and O+ blood most often but there are American Indians that have other blood types as well. And just because one has O- or O+ does not say one is Indian. It can be a mixture of other nationalities as well. I myself have O- blood. Does that make me Indian? Not necessarily but through family proof I am a decendant of the Wappinger Indians of the Eastern Woods Lands in the Hudson River area through my g-gr-fathers side. This  goes back to 1740 that I have the Y-DNA proof. This is on my mothers side of the family. Now on fathers side his mother was Lenape Indian as her family was back to the late 1700's. But gr-father was from Germany. Now does he have Indian blood or a mixture of?? There are Indians all over the world and they have different blood types so we can only find our family members back as far as we can and show proof. I feel it is not fair to have to show proof but it seems to be a fact. My ending thoughts is to be proud of who and what you are for your ancesters helped to make you who and what you are as well as my ancesters helped to make me who and what I am. Blessings, Connie

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          Well, I'd say Ms. Tallbear's viewpoint is way out of line- especially the part about needing to be 'recognized by the community.'
          There can be numerous reasons a person cannot be accepted into the Cherokee Nation, even if said person does have valid claim to the ancestry.
          Speaking from my situation, my great-grandfather did not sign up for the rolls although he had the legal right to do so; and while his "personal choice" backfired on some of his descendants, that does not make his descendants "less Cherokee."
          Ms. Tallbear's POV could cover any race or ethnicity- the idea that a person must belong to some particular group is nonsense.
        • trigueno03@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012
            Its funny how different groups try to disassociate themselves from their own people because of mixing or diaspora. just because u dont fully resemble one of your mixes doesnt make u any less. genetically it would but from the culture no. in regard to diaspora some groups of other countries disown you and try to take away your culture that u were born into or learned that u are a part of. thats not ignorance thats plain stupidity. i love calling people out on that.

            Sent with Verizon Mobile Email

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2012
              On a warm day - by the river - it happened.
              An old woman, who had been called a "blankety blank half-breed..." by her neighbors sat near an isolated river by her home one warm day.  As she sat quietly, she observed winged and four legged family members.  While sitting, she said, "I wonder why the Creator has not made our winged family members half-breeds?  I wonder why the Creator has not made our four legged family members quarter breeds?  Does the Creator not love his two legged family members as he does his four legged and winged ones?"

              The old woman knew she had begun to feel alienated from the Creator.  She lit some sage and stood from the stump she had been sitting on and raised her head and arms to the Creator.  In her pain, and through her tears, she asked, "Why did you allow me to be born half of this and half of that?  Why did you allow me to be born into a family that would not become carded to prove who I am?  Why?  Why, Creator, Why?  Will you please answer these simple questions I put to you?"

              Instead of returning to the stump, the old woman felt drawn to the rivers back where she sat.  As she glanced in the water, she first saw the reflection of the Eagle over head and she though, "How beautiful, graceful and healing you are my winged friend, my family."  She then saw her
              wolf friends reflection in the river and softly said, "How strong and loyal you are my four legged friend, my family."

              Suddenly she heard voices, ... "Look at your reflection in the river."  Upon her first glance, she saw the left side of her body, that of a white woman, and the right side of her body , that of an Indian woman.  Rather shocked, she sat stymied.  With her eyes closed, she heard the voice say, "You are who I made you to be and I love you just as I love my winged and four legged family members.  You unlike them, have a voice for Unity for all.  I never see parts, nor have I ever said that I do.  I only see the whole.  However, one who knows the heart of what it is to experience being of this and that heritage can voice what it means to be whole.  Love all of your heritage and accept all of you."

              The old woman sat still for a long time as those words embraced her heart.  As she slowly opened her eyes upward to the Creator she said, "Ashoge, Creator for making me who I am.  May I be worthy of such love as yours."  As she was about to rise from the river, the voice said, "Look into the river once more."

              As the old woman looked into the river again, she saw her reflection as the Creator had made her.  She saw that her heart was not one of the parts, but of wholeness.  She saw that her mind was one of wholeness, not parts.  And - with her graying brown hair, olive skin and brown eyes, she accepted her white and Indian heritage, knowing that the Creator loved her in her wholeness.