Re: There is no such thing as a "light-skinned Black"

  • rosanna_armendariz
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
      It's always going to be the same BS in this country. I still get people telling me that I can't be half Jamaican b/c I "look Hispanic." Seriously, I'm 38 yrs old and I'm over it. I know most people go by appearances and will label you based on your looks-- not your ancestry, culture, or what you tell them. In fact, they will argue with what you tell them if it doesn't "match" your looks, in their opinion. That's just ignorant people for you.

      "Semmaster" <semcontrol@...> wrote:

      I grew up on the east-side of Springfield, Ohio. We were about 15 to 20 Black
      families with at least one light, bright or nearly white skinned parent, in the
      midst of all Caucasian families. We caught hell from both sides. Blacks on the
      South and West ends of town referred to us as Uncle Toms or Yellow N*ggers and
      the East-End Caucasians...well you know... My mom and grandmother both looked
      White my father was dark skinned with natural wavy hair. I grew up knowing that
      I wasn't just Black. Through family pictures and stories, I knew we were a
      mixture of White, Black and American Indian. As I grew, joined the military and
      left home, people outside of Ohio began asking me what I am and I would always
      say Black with a touch of Red and White. In the seventies, I became very
      interested in learning more of who I really am and began my journey to find out.
      I started by questioning my parents and traveling to different counties around
      Ohio searching census records. In essence what I found out on my father's side
      is mother is listed as mulatto on several census and my grandfather (father's
      father) is listed as Ethiopian of his WWI military record. On my maternal side,
      the list goes all the way back to Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings....

      Connie Ware-Berg <connie.wareberg@...> wrote:

      Any child is very special.
      And no one can tell any one any different!
      Blessings to you and yours,
      Connie

      From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
      To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"
      <Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Generation-Mixed]
      Re: There is no such thing as a "light-skinned Black"
      Date: Thu, Dec 1, 2011 11:35 pm

      First I would like to say Please look into your history!!!!! Depending on where
      a person was born and lived had a lot to do with the skin tone color of the
      person. Today there are very few people in the world now that is pure blood any
      thing. Most of us are all a mixture of two or more.
      Second I would like to say that I am Irish, German, Indian (Several Tribes) on
      mother and fathers side (family history only so far), and African American, and
      I am Very Proud of All of my heritage and ancesters!! They are all what helped
      me to be me.
      Third I would like to say when I was growing up (and I still am) :) I was raised
      to like or dis like a person for the person and not for their skin tone color. I
      will be that way until the day the Creator says my days here on earth are done
      and it is time to go with him.
      Fourth If any one is interested they can look on the net for Mary (Molly) Welsh
      (Walsh) Bannaker. Benjamin Bannaker was her grandson. And Mary Welsh was my 8th
      generation gr-gr-mother. I have what I say is a very colorful history of
      ancesters and
      I am proud of all of them.
      Fifth I have my fathers side of the family back into the early 1700's, mothers
      side back to the late 1600's and my fathers mother's side back to the late
      1700's if any one is interested you can contact me maybe we could be cousins who
      knows??
      Thank you for your time. Connie

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
        I agree that there many ignorant people in the world. But I feel they are the ones that are missing out in life. But then again just food for thought? Am I ignorant because I do not know how to do electrical for example? I feel not. I feel it is because I might not be interested in electrical or I may have not been given the chance to learn. Connie

        From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
        To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        A NOTE ON ... The Racist
        `One-Drop' Rule (ODR):

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        .

      • Nec
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2011
          How come every time I mention that my kids are half black or my husband is black, the response is always negative ... Either a frown or eye roll or sadness or pity or whatever display of disapproval one can muster without actually saying the words?? God forbid I mention that I, too am biracial (1st generation) ... I have struggled my entire life trying to find a balance between my white skin and blue eyes and my (mostly) black upbringing ... It sickens me that we (as people) continue to judge and be judged based on our skin color. Did Dr. King not accomplish anything???

          Sent from my iPhone

          From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
          To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2011
            I sure hope that you did not mis-understand my thoughts of my e-mail. I do feel there are ignorant people in the world in many ways but I also feel that we people can over come that and yes I know it can be hard but I taught my children to do their best to ignore the ignorance and do the best they can do for themselves. Connie

            How come every time I mention that my kids are half black or my husband is black, the response is always d... Either a frown or eye roll or sadness or pity or whatever display of disapproval one can muster without actually saying the words?? God forbid I mention that I, too am biracial (1st generation) ... I have struggled my entire life trying to find a balance between my white skin and blue eyes and my (mostly) black upbringing ... It sickens me that we (as people) continue to judge and be judged based on our skin color. Did Dr. King not accomplish anything???

            From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
            To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"