Re: There is no such thing as a "light-skinned Black"

  • Semmaster
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
      I grew up on the east-side of Springfield, Ohio. We were about 15 to 20 Black families with at least one light, bright or nearly white skinned parent, in the midst of all Caucasian families. We caught hell from both sides. Blacks on the South and West ends of town referred to us as Uncle Toms or Yellow N*ggers and the East-End Caucasians...well you know... My mom and grandmother both looked White my father was dark skinned with natural wavy hair. I grew up knowing that I wasn't just Black. Through family pictures and stories, I knew we were a mixture of White, Black and American Indian. As I grew, joined the military and left home, people outside of Ohio began asking me what I am and I would always say Black with a touch of Red and White. In the seventies, I became very interested in learning more of who I really am and began my journey to find out. I started by questioning my parents and traveling to different counties around Ohio searching census records. In essence what I found out on my father's side is mother is listed as mulatto on several census and my grandfather (father's father) is listed as Ethiopian of his WWI military record. On my maternal side, the list goes all the way back to Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings....

      Connie Ware-Berg <connie.wareberg@...> wrote:

      Any child is very special.
      And no one can tell any one any different!
      Blessings to you and yours,
      Connie

      From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
      To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"
      <Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [Generation-Mixed]
      Re: There is no such thing as a "light-skinned Black"
      Date: Thu, Dec 1, 2011 11:35 pm

      First I would like to say Please look into your history!!!!! Depending on where a person was born and lived had a lot to do with the skin tone color of the person. Today there are very few people in the world now that is pure blood any thing. Most of us are all a mixture of two or more.
      Second I would like to say that I am Irish, German, Indian (Several Tribes) on mother and fathers side (family history only so far), and African American, and I am Very Proud of All of my heritage and ancesters!! They are all what helped me to be me.
      Third I would like to say when I was growing up (and I still am) :) I was raised to like or dis like a person for the person and not for their skin tone color. I will be that way until the day the Creator says my days here on earth are done and it is time to go with him.
      Fourth If any one is interested they can look on the net for Mary (Molly) Welsh (Walsh) Bannaker. Benjamin Bannaker was her grandson. And Mary Welsh was my 8th generation gr-gr-mother. I have what I say is a very colorful history of ancesters and
      I am proud of all of them.
      Fifth I have my fathers side of the family back into the early 1700's, mothers side back to the late 1600's and my fathers mother's side back to the late 1700's if any one is interested you can contact me maybe we could be cousins who knows??
      Thank you for your time. Connie

        From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
        To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

        A NOTE ON ... The Racist
        `One-Drop' Rule (ODR):

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[...]

        .
      • Connie Ware-Berg
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2011
          I agree that there many ignorant people in the world. But I feel they are the ones that are missing out in life. But then again just food for thought? Am I ignorant because I do not know how to do electrical for example? I feel not. I feel it is because I might not be interested in electrical or I may have not been given the chance to learn. Connie

          From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
          To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2011
            How come every time I mention that my kids are half black or my husband is black, the response is always negative ... Either a frown or eye roll or sadness or pity or whatever display of disapproval one can muster without actually saying the words?? God forbid I mention that I, too am biracial (1st generation) ... I have struggled my entire life trying to find a balance between my white skin and blue eyes and my (mostly) black upbringing ... It sickens me that we (as people) continue to judge and be judged based on our skin color. Did Dr. King not accomplish anything???

            Sent from my iPhone

            From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
            To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2011
              I sure hope that you did not mis-understand my thoughts of my e-mail. I do feel there are ignorant people in the world in many ways but I also feel that we people can over come that and yes I know it can be hard but I taught my children to do their best to ignore the ignorance and do the best they can do for themselves. Connie

              How come every time I mention that my kids are half black or my husband is black, the response is always d... Either a frown or eye roll or sadness or pity or whatever display of disapproval one can muster without actually saying the words?? God forbid I mention that I, too am biracial (1st generation) ... I have struggled my entire life trying to find a balance between my white skin and blue eyes and my (mostly) black upbringing ... It sickens me that we (as people) continue to judge and be judged based on our skin color. Did Dr. King not accomplish anything???

              From: "Connie Ware-Berg" <connie.wareberg@...>
              To: "Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com"