A note on 'Self-Definition'

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 19, 2011
      On 'Self-Definition'

      When finding myself speaking with Mixed-Race people
      who (in reaction to intimidation by pressure from the
      `One-Droppist' – of all "racial" combinations – that
      they have encountered – rather than out of some
      personal choice) feel pressured to go through life
      "passing as a `mono'-racial",  I try to share with them of
      some of the following conclusions I have made about life.

      These conclusions are as follows:

      ***To have the 'courage to acknowledge' one's
      Ethnicity or Family Lineage as being Mixed-Race
      IS NOT the same as "separating oneself from" or
      "denying any part" of one's "Mono"-Racial lineages.

      ***To have the 'fortitude to proclaim' that one's
      Mixed-Race heritage IS NOT about focusing on anything
      as petty or divisive as `visible' skin coloring, hair texture,
      facial features, etc. – NOR IS IT about any measurements
      of `quantum' or `percentage' of "racial" mixtures.

      ***To have the `strength to hold onto' one's Mixed-Race
      heritage IS actually about acknowledging the struggle that
      your ancestors went through (against their volition)
      and their survival -- against all odds -- made in
      order to pave the way for you to exist.

      ***A Mixed-Race person can be so via their Culture
      (such as
      Creoles and Latinos);via their Lineage
      (such as people who are of a Multi-Generational
      Multiracially-Mixed -–
      MGM-Mixed – lineage) ;
      via their Parentage (such as people who are of
      First-Generational Multiracially-Mixed -– FGM-Mixed –
      parentage) – and via their Ethnicity (such as Arabs and
      many of the members of the group that today is generally
      referred to as
      'African-American ') ------- and that all
      of these Mixed-Race types can easily describe the
      `unique social, cultural, racial blending' of individuals
      and events `whose presence tells of the struggle
      and championing of proud and strong people'.

      ***Every single Mixed-Race person  -- whether they
      are Mixed-Race via their Culture; Lineage; Parentage
      or Ethnicity --- has just as much a right to acknowledge
      the Multi-RACIAL lineages within their heritage
      – as
      does any Mixed-Race person – no matter their appearance;
      features; experiences; upbringing or choice of `identity'.

      *** Every single Mixed-Race person on earth has
      the God-given right to choose their own individual
      `identity'
      with which they feel most comfortable --
      as, ones' personal acknowledgement, acceptance and
      embracing of a matter is often a thousand times more
      empowering than if the whole world also decided
      to affirm what one already knows to be true.

      Just a thought. ;;)

      Have a great day. :)

      Related Links:

      http//groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/message/1400

                                                                                  -- AllPeople G.i.f.t.s (c)
    • Connie Ware-Berg
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011

        I would like to share this e-mail with another group I am in if I may. But I would like to ask your permission first. Thank you, Connie

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 20, 2011
          Hi Connie,

          Thank you so much for you memo!!

          Please feel more than free to share this memo / posting with anyone
          that you would like (and
          I do feel honored by your wanting to share it). :)

          [The one request I would like to add is that you also include a link to
          the
          'Generation-Mixed' webpage  (so that people can see that it is a
          'copyrighted' posting ... as I have, more than once, seen my postings
          re-posted all over the web with either no or the wrong 'authorship')

          -- and also the
          'Contact'  information to my email address (just
          in case anyone has any questions in regards to the topic of the
          posting
          ) -- both of which are noted at the very end of the posting.
          ]

          Thanks again Connie -- you are great and we are all so
          happy that you are a part of the Gen-Mixed Community !!!

          Have a wonderful day -- and continue
          to always 'stay true' to who you are!

          -- APGifts (soaptalk@...)

          --- In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,