Mixed-Race Day, 6/27/2010, 12:00 am

  • Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2010
      Reminder from: Generation-Mixed Yahoo! Group

      Title: Mixed-Race Day

      Date: Sunday June 27, 2010
      Time: All Day
      Repeats: This event repeats every year.

    • rosanna_armendariz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2010
        Didn't know what this day was about, so I looked it up. Turns out it's a Brazilian holiday, for those of you who like me, didn't know. I cut and pasted Wiki info below.

        Mixed Race Day, June 27 is a reference in Brazil to the twenty-seven Mixed Race, "mestiço", in Portuguese, representatives elected during the 1st Conference for the Promotion of Racial Equality, which occurred in the city of Manaus, State of Amazonas, Brazil, from April 7 to 9, 2005, and also to the Month of June, in which a Mixed Race woman, after systematic opposition from anti-multiracial groups, was registered as the only Mixed Race representative in the 1st National Conference for the Promotion of Racial Equality, which occurred in Brasília, from June 30 to July 2, 2005, promoted by the Government of Brazil.

        Mixed Race Day "Dia do Mestiço", in Portuguese was made an official day of the city of Manaus on January 6, 2006. On March 21, 2006, during the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, Mixed Race Day became an official day of the State of Amazon; and on October 6, 2006, of the City of Boa Vista, in the State of Roraima and, on October 9, 2007, it became an official day for this entire State.

        Mixed Race Day honors all those who possess mixed blood or multi-ethnic origins.

        It occurs three days after the Day of the Caboclo, the first Mixed Race Brazilian group European and Indian.

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Reminder from: Generation-Mixed Yahoo! Group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Generation-Mixed/cal

        Mixed-Race Day
        Sunday June 27, 2010
        All Day