re: INDIVISIBLE:

  • ashley smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2010
      This program description appears to have its own biases, but also some good points. I am neighbors with a few families that are mixed African and Native American and I know a lot of the issues, especially that old axe of having to choose one, and, actually, after the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's, when black people got more recognition, and after the Alcatraz thing when Indians were put back down, it was easier to choose black, as the black community could support initiatives more effectively than the Native American community could.  The US government is still trying to get rid of Native American indigenous rights, and many see those loyal to tribal citizenship, family and culture as separate from the rest of America.  Dual citizenship has some benefits but also some drawbacks.  We have a mixed black president, but no Native Americans place in key positions.
      That said, it looks like a very interesting program, and opportunity for discussion of such issues.