re: Dr. Gabrielle Tayac

  • ashley smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12 5:42 AM
      My son went through some of the same things in kindergarten, being Indian and not matching the stereotypes. The class taught him stereotypes that he believed and could not identify with, but made him reject his Indianness - "They say Indians always fight, and I don't want to fight, so I don't want to be Indian"

      So this is very interesting.

      I wish someone would give a symposium that is for mixed people on how to keep the best things of each culture and mix them into a great eclectic identity that purebloods could accept and relate to. sometimes they get so concerned about preserving everything that they are just as threatened by the idea of mixing as Whites are.

      btw I have roots in Chincoteague Island, and would like to know more about the Chincoteague people. The got removed early on, but retained some of their identity, some being politically labelled as White and some joining neighboring nations.