"Keeper of the Fire" (a profile of an MGM-Mixed person)

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2005
      Richard "Henonoquaad ( Keeper of the Fire )" Harris:

      "My given name in English is Richard Harris.
      My native name is Henonoquad, "Keeper of the Fire."

      I carry the surname of my mother's family. From what
      I know of her and her family, they were from around
      Tyler Texas. She died when I was about five or six.

      My father also carried his mother's maiden name.
      His father's father was William or Billy Two Catches,
      a full blood of Creek Choctaw parentage. My father was
      brought up in Choctaw, Oklahoma. He joined the service
      when he was sixteen, and later the Merchant Marine.

      He made me aware of my native heritage. I followed
      his traditions of wearing cowboy hats and boots.
      Moreover, I ran to my native background rather than
      away from it. At the time my father had no choice.

      In college in the late sixties I became an activist for African and
      Native American rights. I continue this practice to the present.
      Subsequently I became much more involved in the spiritual,
      cultural, and educational rights of my people.
      For the past twelve yeas I've been going to Big Mountain
      for the Spring gathering, to Sundance, and to political actions.
      Additionally, I am involved with sweat lodges and Plains
      ceremonies of the Lakota traditions. I've had my Cree naming
      and adoption ceremonies. I try to educate the public and the
      educational bureaucracy about the red and black alliances."

      Source:
      http://www.bnaa.org/founders/richard_harris.shtml

      Related Links:

      Don "Little Cloud" Davenport
      http://www.bnaa.org/founders/don.shtml

      Bonita Roxie Aleja Sizemore
      http://www.bnaa.org/founders/bonita.shtml

      Zenobia Kujichagulia RedBlack Wolf Embry-Nimmer
      http://www.bnaa.org/founders/zenobia.shtml

      Links of Interest:

      http://www.bnaa.org/founders/
      http://www.bnaa.org/