to Sarah

  • ashley smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29 9:17 AM
      Sarah, that is very confusing for the format that they have!  hahahaha You are a real American mix! I don't know why the census seems to be totally focussed on race. If I were you I would write a separate letter, describing your origins as you have with us, and not worrying about which box to put in what.  I would just say on the form that the family is mixed..  maybe I would check almost everything!  Check Hispanic, Mexican, Filipino, White, Native American, and mestizo too. That is the reality of America. It appears that your family origins are for many generations in America, and through all of those generations there has been wonderful mixing that you can be very proud of. The more recent immigrants don't have much mixing because they are still in the little ghettos learning English. That's not a put down it's just true.  The family that just came from Italy and speaks Italian and is just learning English has not done any mixing yet,, but,, they will, they will, in the next generation or the one after that. Probably intra-European at first, like Italian and Irish, and they will think that's a big thing! hahaha