I'm so confused on what to check off for the Hispanic Origin in the Census!

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2010
      Ok, my mother is Mexican, my father is Filipino. It first asks to check off if I am of Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish Origin (I'm not seeing the paper right now, but I believe it was question #5) I checked off of Mexican, Chicano origin, then for #6 it asks race, so I checked off Filipino, but then it asks for anything else. Do I write in Mexican, or do I just leave it alone. I know my mom has French, Spanish & something Indigenous in there, but I don't know if that's significant enough to bother writing in, or if I should do what some of you have done and write in Mestizo. Any suggestions?
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 29, 2010
        Hi Sarah,

        I have a cousin who has a similar background in that her father is also Filipino and her mother is Puerto Rican. Therefore, you were correct in selecting the box for Hispanic origin and indicating the specific ethnicity (Mexican, Chicano). But as for race, I would suggest checking whatever your background is...e.g...White (Hispanic origin), Filipino, and Indigenous.

        In my case, I checked Black, White and Native American with the tribe/nation denoted. Hope this is helpful to you.

        Regards,

        Rick