Re: The U.S.C.B.'s role in the O.D.R.

  • latonyabeatty76
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27, 2010
      This is the situation that happened to my ggrandfather. His father was black and mother American Indian. His race is the only thing that has contradicted all else. His name is even Tsalagi and not English. It just upsets me when I see this. I marked Indian and put the tribe on the census on behalf of my ggrandfather and our heritage. I would be more than happy to show them and explain to them why I did. I also have proof of white ancestry but don't feel connected to the part of my heritage.

      [[[ QUOTE:

      "Any mixture of White and Nonwhite should
      be reported according to the Nonwhite parent.
      Mixtures of Nonwhite races should be reported
      according to the race of the father, except that
      Negro-Indian should be reported as Negro.

      CENSUS : 1910" ]]]
    • Philip Arnell
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2010
        An interesting story latonya. Dive more into your european background though, You might establish a connection more than you think.

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2010
          The USA is the only country in this hemisphere that has avoided recognizing mixed people. Canada has Metis, Mexico has Mesitizos, but the USA has been very black and white on the issue and given criteria for being Black (any Negoid blood at all), White (pure), or Native American (on the rolls, with various criteria for being on a particular roll). I think we are putting good pressure on the government to recognize American mixes, and it's driving them crazy! hahahaha

          In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
          j s <creolescience@...> wrote:

          I suppose the real question is what was the deciding factor
          in the change in the 1940's census from Mulatto to Negro.
          Was it a desire for a greater black unity and therefore a rejection
          of the mulatto designation ("We are all black" like in the 60's)
          or a desire by whites to categorize them all as the same,
          perhaps even as a backlash against greater acceptance by
          whites of "Negro" culture ( Harlem Renaissance, music etc).?

          THE USCB ENFORCEMENT OF
          THE RACIST `ONE-DROP RULE'"

          The Data shown below clearly demonstrates
          how the United States Census Bureau (USCB)
          has used a form of "documentary-genocide" in
          an attempt to both annihilate the factual-record
          of the existence of `certain' Mixed-Race groups
          and to also deny said groups the right to be able to
          lay claim to and publicly-embrace their full-lineage.:

          (Notice how the definitions used for Mixed-Race
          people changed with each census -- until the
          term was finally eliminated altogether – with
          the remaining entire `Mixed-Race' people
          groupings altogether mis-categorized.

          Notice also how –without any explanation –
          it is simply and continually decided that ---
          anyone who is of the 'African-American' Ethnic
          group is also to be considered as `mono'-racially
          Black / Negro'Race' – regardless of the person's
          true "racial-admixture" may, in fact, actually be.)

          Thanks to groups like the USCB, Mulatto /
          Mixed-Race people began to be viewed under
          the oxymoron of "Light-Skinned Blacks",
          and the Mulatto /Mixed-Race category
          eventually removed from the Forms.

          From then on, Mixed-Race people
          became silenced by One-Droppism.

          Historical racial classification and the census:

          Year: 1900
          Category: White, Black, Indian, Chinese, and Japanese

          Year: 1910
          Category: White, Black, Mulatto, Chinese,
          Japanese, Indian, Other (plus write-in)

          Year: 1920
          Category: White, Black, Mulatto, Indian,
          Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Hindu,
          Korean, and Other (plus write-in)

          Year: 1930
          Category: White, Negro, Indian, Mexican,
          Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Hindu,
          Korean (Other races, spell out in full)

          Year: 1940
          Category: White, Negro, Indian, Chinese,
          Japanese, Filipino, Hindu, Korean
          (Other races, spell out in full)

          Year: 1950
          Category: White, Negro, Indian, Japanese,
          Chinese, Filipino (Other races, spell out)

          Year: 1960
          Category: White, Negro, American Indian,
          Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian,
          Part Hawaiian, Aleut, Eskimo

          Year: 1970
          Category: White, Negro or Black, Indian
          (American), Japanese, Chinese, Filipino,
          Hawaiian, Korean, Other (print race)

          Year: 1980
          Category: White, Negro, Indian (American),
          Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Korean,
          Vietnamese, Asian Indian, Hawaiian,
          Guamanian, Samoan, Eskimo, Aleut,
          Other (specify); each person
          can also be Hispanic or Latino.

          Year: 1990
          Category: White, Black, Indian (American), Chinese,
          Filipino, Hawaiian, Korean, Japanese, Eskimo,
          Aleut, Vietnamese, Asian Indian, Samoan,
          Guamanian, Other Asian Pacific Islander,
          Other race; and Hispanic or Latino.

          SOURCE: https://www.amherst.edu/library/research/courserelated/spring06/hist10.html

          1870 Census: Instructions to Assistant Marshals

          Color:

          Be particularly careful in
          reporting the class Mulatto.

          The word is here generic, and includes
          quadroons, octoroons, AND `all persons
          having any perceptible trace of African blood'.

          Important scientific-results depend upon the correct
          determination of this class in schedules 1 and 2.

          SOURCE: http://www.ipums.umn.edu/%7Epipums/voliii/inst1930.html

          1890 Census: Instructions to Enumerators

          "COLOR, SEX, AND AGE

          4. Whether White, Black, mulatto, Quadroon,
          Octoroon, Chinese, Japanese, or Indian.—
          Write White, Black, Mulatto, Quadroon, Octoroon,
          Chinese, Japanese, or Indian, according to
          the color or race of the person enumerated.

          Be particularly careful to distinguish between
          Blacks, Mulattos, Quadroons, and Octoroons.

          The word "mulatto," [should be used to
          describe] those persons who have from
          three-eighths to five-eighths black blood;
          "quadroon," those persons who have
          one-fourth black blood; and "octoroon,
          "those persons who have one-eighth
          or `any trace' of Black blood".

          SOURCE: http://www.ipums.umn.edu/%7Epipums/voliii/inst1930.html

          1910 Census: Instructions to Enumerators

          PERSONAL DESCRIPTION

          Color or Race:

          Write "W" for white;
          "B" for black;
          "Mu" for mulatto;
          "In" for Indian;
          "Ch" for Chinese;
          "Jp" for Japanese;
          For all persons not falling within one
          of these classes, write "Ot" (for other)…

          … the term "Black" (B) includes All persons
          Who Are Evidently Full-Blooded Negroes,
          while the term "Mulatto" (Mu) includes all
          other persons having "some proportion
          or perceptible trace of Negro blood".

          SOURCE: http://www.ipums.umn.edu/%7Epipums/voliii/inst1930.html

          1920 Census: Instructions to Enumerators

          PERSONAL DESCRIPTION

          Color or Race.—

          Write "W" for white;
          "B" for black;
          "Mu" for mulatto;
          "In" for Indian;
          "Ch" for Chinese;
          "Jp" for Japanese;
          For all persons not falling within one
          of these classes, write "Ot" (for other)…

          … the term "black" (B) includes all persons
          who are evidently full-blooded negroes,
          while the term "mulatto" (Mu) includes all
          other persons having some proportion
          or perceptible trace of negro blood.

          SOURCE: http://usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/inst1920.shtml

          Race in 1930

          Someone who was part Indian and
          part Negro was to be reported as Negro
          unless the Indian blood predominated and the person
          was `generally accepted' as an Indian in the community.

          SOURCE: http://genealogy.about.com/library/print/nuchinckley1a.htm

          1940 Census: Instructions to Enumerators

          Color or Race

          Write "W" for white; "Neg" for Negro;"In" for Indian;
          "Jp" for Japanese; "Fil" for Filipino; "Kor" for Korean;
          "Chi" for Chinese; and "Hi" for Hindu;

          For a person of any other race, write the race in full.

          455. Negroes

          A person of mixed White and Negro blood
          should be returned as Negro, no matter
          how small a percentage of Negro blood.
          Both Black and Mulatto persons are to be
          returned as Negroes, without distinction.
          A person of mixed Indian and Negro
          blood should be returned as a Negro,
          unless the Indian blood very definitely
          predominates -- AND -- he is `universally
          accepted' in the community as an Indian.

          457. Mixed Races

          Any mixture of White and Nonwhite should
          be reported according to the Nonwhite parent.
          Mixtures of Nonwhite races should be reported
          according to the race of the father, except that
          Negro-Indian should be reported as Negro.

          SOURCE: http://www.usa.ipums.org/usa/voliii/inst1940.shtml

          1950 Census: Instructions to Enumerators

          Personal Characteristics

          Item 9. Race

          114. Item 9.

          Determining and entering race.

          Write "W" for white; "Neg"
          for Negro; "Ind" for
          American Indian;
          "Chi" for Chinese; "Jap" for
          Japanese; "Fil" for Filipino.
          For a person of any other
          race, write the race in full.

          Assume that the race of
          related persons living in the
          household is the same as the
          race of your respondent,
          unless you learn otherwise.

          For unrelated persons
          (employees, hired hands,
          lodgers, etc.) you must ask the
          race, because knowledge of the
          housewife's race (for example)
          tells nothing of the maid's race.

          116. Negroes.-

          Report "Negro" (Neg)
          for Negroes and for
          persons of Mixed White
          -And-Negro-Parentage.

          A person of Mixed-Indian-
          and-Negro-Blood should
          be returned as a Negro,
          unless the Indian blood very
          definitely predominates
          -- AND -- he is `accepted'
          in the community as an Indian.

          (Note, however, the exceptions
          described in par. l18 below.)

          117. American Indians.

          Report "American Indian"
          (Ind) for persons of
          Mixed-White-And-
          Indian-Blood -- if enrolled
          on an Indian Agency or Reservation roll;
          if not so enrolled, they should
          still be reported as Indian if
          the proportion of Indian blood
          is One-Fourth or more, or if
          they are `regarded' as Indians
          in the community where they live.
          (See par. 116 for persons of
          Mixed-Indian-And-Negro-
          Blood and also exceptions
          noted in par. 118.)
          In those counties where there
          are many Indians living outside
          of reservations, special care
          should be taken to obtain
          accurate answers to item 9.

          118. Special communities.

          Report persons of Mixed-White-
          Negro-And-Indian-Ancestry
          `living in certain communities'
          in the Eastern United State's
          in terms of The Name By
          Which They Are Locally Known.

          The communities in question
          are of long standing and are
          locally recognized by special
          names, such as '"Croatian,"
          "Jackson White," "We-sort," etc.

          Persons of Mixed-Indian-And-
          Negro-Ancestry and Mulattoes
          `not living in such communities'
          should be returned as
          "Negro" (see par. 116).

          When in doubt, describe
          the situation in a footnote.

          119. Mixed parentage.

          Report Race of Nonwhite
          parent for persons of
          Mixed-White-And-Nonwhite-Races.

          Mixtures of Nonwhite races
          should be reported according
          to the race of the father.

          (Note, however, exceptions detailed
          in pars. 116 and 118 above.)

          SOURCE: http://www.ipums.umn.edu/Epipums/voliii/inst1930.html

          CENSUS : 1850, 1860
          RACE QUESTION: Color
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:
          White, Black, or Mulatto.

          CENSUS : 1870, 1880
          RACE QUESTION: Color
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:
          White (W), Black (B), Mulatto
          (M), Chinese (C), Indian (I).

          CENSUS: 1900
          RACE QUESTION: Color or race
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:

          Write "W" for White; "B" for Black (Negro OR
          `Of-Negro-Descent'); "Ch" for Chinese; "JP" for
          Japanese, and "In" for Indian, as the case may be.

          CENSUS : 1910
          RACE QUESTION: Color or race
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:

          108.
          Write "W" for white; "B"
          for Black; "Mu" for Mulatto;
          "Ch" for Chinese; "Jp" for Japanese; "In" for Indian.
          For all persons not falling within one of these classes,
          write "Ot" (for other), and write on the left-hand margin
          of the schedule the race of the person so indicated. 109.
          For census purposes, the term `Black' (B)
          includes all persons who are evidently
          Full-Blooded Negroes, while the term "Mulatto"
          (Mu) includes all other persons having Some
          Proportion or Perceptible Trace of Negro Blood.

          CENSUS: 1920
          RACE QUESTION: Color or race
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:

          120.
          Write "W" for white, "B" for Black;
          "Mu" for Mulatto; "In" for Indian;
          "Ch" for Chinese; "Jp" for Japanese; "Fil" for
          Filipino; "Hin" for Hindu; "Kor" for Korean.
          For all persons not falling within one of these classes,
          write "Ot" (for other), and write on the left-hand margin
          of the schedule the race of the person so indicated. 121.
          For census purposes, the term `Black' (B)
          includes all persons who are evidently
          Full-Blooded Negroes, while the term "Mulatto"
          (Mu) includes all other persons having Some
          Proportion or Perceptible Trace of Negro Blood.

          CENSUS : 1940
          RACE QUESTION: Color or race
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:

          453. Write "W" for white; "Neg"
          for Negro; "In" for Indian;
          "Chi" for Chinese; "Jp" for Japanese; "Fil" for
          Filipino; "Hi" for Hindu; and "Kor" for Korean.
          For a person of any other race, write the race in full.

          454. Mexicans.

          Mexicans are to be regarded as white unless
          definitely of Indian or other nonwhite race.

          455. Negroes.

          A person of mixed white and Negro blood
          should be returned as Negro, no matter
          how small a percentage of Negro blood.
          Both Black and Mulatto persons are to be
          returned as Negroes, without distinction.
          A person of Mixed-Indian-And-Negro-Blood
          should be returned as a Negro, unless the Indian
          blood very definitely predominates and he is universally
          accepted in the community as an Indian.

          456. Indians.

          A person of Mixed-White-And-Indian-Blood
          should be returned as an Indian, if enrolled
          on an Indian agency or reservation roll, or if not
          so enrolled, if the proportion of Indian blood is
          One-Fourth Or More, or if the person is regarded
          as an Indian in the community where he lives.

          457. Mixed Races.

          Any mixture of White and Nonwhite should
          be reported according to the Nonwhite parent.

          Mixtures of Nonwhite races should be reported
          according to the race of the father, except that
          Negro-Indian should be reported as Negro.

          Note that Mulattos no longer have
          their own category from this point
          forward, but they were also
          without a separate category in 1900.

          CENSUS : 1950
          RACE QUESTION: Race:
          ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS:

          White (W); Negro (Neg);
          American Indian (Ind) ;
          Japanese (Jap); Chinese (Chi);
          Filipino (Fil) ;
          Other race – spell out

          114. Item 9.

          Determining and entering race.-
          Write "W" for white; "Neg" for
          Negro; "Ind" for American Indian;
          "Chi" for Chinese; "Jap" for Japanese; "Fil" for Filipino.
          For a person of any other race, write the race in full.

          Assume that the race of related persons living
          in the household is the same as the race of your
          respondent, unless you learn otherwise.

          For unrelated persons (employees, hired hands,
          lodgers, etc.) you must ask the race, because
          knowledge of the housewife's race (for
          example) tells nothing f the maid's race.

          115. Mexicans.

          Report "white" (W) for Mexicans unless they are
          definitely of Indian or other nonwhite race.

          116. Negroes.

          Report "Negro" (Neg) for Negroes and for
          persons of Mixed-White-And-Negro-Parentage.

          A person of Mixed-Indian-And-Negro-Blood
          should be returned as a Negro, unless the
          Indian blood very `definitely predominates' --
          AND -- he is `accepted' in the community as an Indian.
[...]

          CENSUS : 1960
          RACE QUESTION:

          Is this person –
          White, Negro, American Indian,
          Japanese, Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian,
          Part Hawaiian, Aleut, Eskimo, (etc.)?

          (STARTING IN 1970 THERE WERE
          NO ENUMERATOR INSTRUCTIONS
          BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE THEN
          ALLOWED TO CHOOSE THEIR
          OWN "RACIAL" CATEGORIES.)

          CENSUS : 1970
          COLOR OR RACE

          Fill one circle. If "Indian (American),"
          also give tribe. If "Other," also give race.
          O White
          O Negro or Black
          O Indian (Amer.)
          Print tribe ____________________
          O Japanese
          O Chinese
          O Filipino
          O Hawaiian
          O Korean
          O Other -
          Print race ____________________
          [On the questionnaires used in Alaska,
          the categories "Aleut" and "Eskimo"
          were substituted for "Hawaiian"
          and "Korean" in question 4.]

          CENSUS : 1980
          COLOR OR RACE

          Is this person --
          Fill one circle.
          O White
          O Asian Indian
          O Black or Negro
          O Hawaiian
          O Japanese
          O Guamanian
          O Chinese
          O Samoan
          O Filipino
          O Eskimo
          O Korean
          O Aleut
          O Vietnamese
          O Other -
          Specify __________
          O Indian (Amer.)
          Print tribe ____________
          "Fill the circle for the category with
          which the person most closely identifies.
          If you fill the Indian (American) or
          Other circle, be sure to print the name
          of the specific Indian tribe or specific group."

          CENSUS : 1990
          COLOR OR RACE

          Fill ONE circle for the race that the
          person considers himself/herself to be.
          If Indian (Amer.), print the name
          of the enrolled or principal Tribe.

          If Other Asian or Pacific Islander
          (API), print one group, for example:

          Hmong, Fijian, Laotian, Thai, Tongan,
          Pakistani, Cambodian, and so on.
          If Other race, print race.
          O White
          O Black or Negro
          O Indian (Amer.)
          (Print the name of the enrolled
          or principal tribe.)
          _______________
          O Eskimo
          O Aleut
          Asian or Pacific Islander (API)
          O Chinese
          O Japanese
          O Filipino
          O Asian Indian
          O Hawaiian
          O Samoan
          O Korean
          O Guamanian
          O Vietnamese
          O Other API
          ____________________
          O Other race (Print race)
          ____________________

          "Fill ONE circle for the race each person
          considers himself/herself to be.
          If you fill the Indian (Amer.) circle,
          print the name of the Tribe or Tribes
          in which the person is enrolled.
          If the person is not enrolled in a tribe,
          print the name of the principal tribe(s).
          If you fill the Other API circle [under
          Asian or Pacific Islander (API)],
          only print the name of the group
          to which the person belongs.
          For example, the Other API category
          includes persons who identify as Burmese,
          Fijian, Hmong, Indonesian, Laotian,
          Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Tongan, Thai,
          Cambodian, Sri Lankan, and so on.
          If you fill the Other race circle, be
          sure to print the name of the race.

          If the person considers himself/herself to
          be White, Black or Negro, Eskimo
          or Aleut, fill one circle only.

          Please do not print the race in the boxes.

          The Black or Negro category
          also includes persons who
          identify as 'African-American'
          Afro-American, Haitian, Jamaican,
          West Indian, Nigerian, and so on.

          All persons, regardless of citizenship
          status, should answer this question."

          CENSUS : 2000
          COLOR OR RACE

          What is this person's race?
          Mark one or more races to indicate what
          this person considers himself/herself to be.
          White
          Black, 'African-American', or Negro
          American Indian or Alaska Native
          ______________
          (print name of enrolled or principal tribe)
          Asian Indian
          Native Hawaiian
          Japanese
          Korean
          Vietnamese
          Guamanian or Chomorro
          Samoan
          Other Pacific Islander
          ______________________
          Some Other Race
          _______________________

          New standards, issued in 1997, made for
          5 minimum racial categories instead of 4.
          ("Asian or Pacific Islander" is now
          "Asian" and "Hawaiian or Pacific Islander.)

          The categories are now American Indian
          or Alaskan Native, Asian, Black or
          'African-American', Native Hawaiian
          and Other Pacific Islander, White.

          For the first time, people can select more than
          one when they self-identify, and respondents
          are instructed to check all races that apply..
          There were 15 check box response categories
          and 3 write-in areas (as compared with
          1990's 16 responses and 2 write-ins.
          They combined the 3 separate categories
          of American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut
          into one – American Indian or Alaska
          Native – with instructions to write in the tribe.
          And "Asian and Pacific Islander" is now two
          categories, Asian, and "Native Hawaiian
          and Other Pacific Islander."
          The categories are meant to be collapsible
          to the "six basic racial categories"
          (quoted from the Census Bureau document
          "Racial and Ethnic Classifications used in
          Census 2000 and Beyond (2000) found at http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/race/racefactcb.html)

          SOURCE: www.rci.rutgers.edu/~vbashi/soc108-handout-census.htm

          Related Links:

          http://boards.mulatto.org/post/show_single_post?pid=34070161&postcount;=13