Re: Census 2010--Mixed voices be heard!

  • rosanna_armendariz
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2010
      That is hilarious about that census taker showing up at your house--twice! I'm expecting at least a phone call, and I'll be ready!

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      ashley smith <ashley717717@...> wrote:

      Haha   In 1980 I got a census form, and we could only check one box, but I checked three. Well, what happened was that I got a knock on the door from a census taker who was sent to help me fill out the form correctly.  haha  So I said that I had done it correctly, and that our family had 3 racial origins,,  White, Black, and American Indian, and so I was going to leave it at that. The person left. A week later there was another knock and another census taker, who explained that the computer program was not set up to be able to take more than one checked box.  I told them that they had to reprogram the computer. He left. Next week same thing.
      Well, in 1990 the computer was able to take multiple checked boxes!

      I say do what you have to do!

      The label of "Hispanic' is not sufficient for a variety of reasons - one Puerto Ricans are very different than the rest of the Spanish world because they do have American citizenship as a part of the United States. Many Whites are basing their 'English only' demand under the false impression that English was ever the universal language in North America. In fact the Spanish were here first, a fact often omitted by grammar school history books. The Florida area was settle by the Spanish at around the same time that Puerto Rico was,, in the 1500's!. The US Southwest was Spanish until President Polk went on a land grab. The people of the Southwest have Mexican heritage from wayyyy before Davy Crockett got there, and they are entitled to keep and be proud of the wonderful Spanish American heritage they have, including speaking Spanish,, being mestizos, and all of that.

      VIVA LA RAZA!

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "rosanna_armendariz" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

      Well, I filled out my census form a couple days ago, and was certain to indicate the multiracial heritage of myself, my husband, and my son. I answered yes on Hispanic heritage for all of us. Then for my husband, under race, I wrote in "mestizo," which is a mixture of indiginous and Spaniard. The majority of Mexicans are mestizo, and I think it's ridiculous that they are being pushed to identify as White in many cases. I recently read an article in my local newspaper where the author said the majority of Mexicans don't know they're White. Hmn, maybe that's because they're not! Some have fair skin, but that often is not a reliable indicator of racial heritage. In many Latino families, some siblings will be fairskinned and some will be darker. Does that mean that the light ones are White and the dark ones Black or Indian, even though they have the same parents? Makes no sense. So, for hubby I wrote in Mestizo.

      For myself, after I answered yes on Hispanic, I wrote in Ecuadorian. Then for race I wrote in Mixed.

      For my son, I also answered yes on Hispanic, checked off Mexican and also wrote in Ecuadorian. I don't know if I was supposed to do this, b/c it seemed that if you answered yes to Hispanic you were supposed to check off one of the groups or write your group in if it wasn't listed-- like they didn't think someone could have 2 different types of Hispanic as part of their heritage. How ridiculous! There are so many people that are half Puerto Rican, half Dominican or half Mexican, half Cuban, and so on. So pretty narrow-minded of them not to take that into account. Anyway, then under my son's race I wrote in multiracial.

      So, I'm sure the pencil pushers at the Census will be quite confused when they see our form!