Re: The 'Blue People' of Appalachia

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 23 4:53 PM

      Hi Heather,

      Glad you enjoyed the post and thanks so much for sharing your
      insight and thoughts on this story of 'a people' who are known
      for their extremely rare (and often misunderstood) phenotype.

      In case you are interested, listed below are a few links to more
      articles on '
      The Blue People' (found in the U.S. and worldwide).

      Thanks again and have a great day,

      -- AP

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      The Blue People of Appalachia
      (The case of a close-knit clan of people with blue skin in the U.S.)

      The Blue Men of Lurgan
      (The case of the two siblings in Ireland with blue skin in 1942)

      http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/dym140v1

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      Heather Stimmel <heather21230@...> wrote:

      I just wanted to thank whomever posted this story! Talk about an interesting read! The lesson we all can learn from this story, is this: it doesn't matter who we are, how much money we have, where we live or what a person looks like on the outside. It's our heart condition that matters most. The "blue people" are just as "normal" as anyone else. They have close-knit families they enjoy spending quality time with, they are a self-sufficient people and with strong character, they go to church and are very protective of the people they care about. As I was reading the story, I began to wonder (the few times that they were seen by other people)... were they treated as lepers, with disgust and racism, the same way people are today? Afterall, that was the early-mid 1800's. According to the story, it didn't sound as if they ventured far from the isolated area in which they lived. Then, again, I'm sure if most people today encountered one of the blue people, they would run into stares, taunting, harassment and so-forth. So... for people today who say racism is gone- it's a thing of the past- I say, put your feet in the shoes of someone who experiences it to know exactly what it feels like. When I read the part of the story that says, there's only one, remaining, blue person living today... I must admit, I was a little sad. Will the blue people and their lives be something that dies off with the last, remaining family member... to be thrown away and forgotten, like so many other geneological histories (particularly, "different" ones)? I believe, learning of other's histories is a way for people to grow and take away lessons, knowledge and, hopefully, empathy for what people lived through. It is the beginning of bringing people closer together, and... if that could truly happen, then it's all worth it. Thanks, again, for such a wonderful story!!!

      "Our lives begin to end the day we
      become silent about things that matter."
      -Martin Luther King, Jr.