The people in Haiti are in need of Shelter!

  • David W
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2010
      The people in Haiti are in need of Shelter!

      With all that we have seen on the news about in Haiti, we know that the needs of the Haitian people are great!

      The top four things being emergency medical assistance; food; water; and shelter.

      The news has reported that the rainy season in Haiti is near and many people are using bed sheets as shelter from the sun. Which will do nothing once it beings to rain.

      I have seen on the news and have visited a website called "Shelter Box." http://www.shelterboxusa.org/

      Which are being sent to the survivors of Haiti I believe 50,000 people so far are using the "Shelter Box" which equals 5,000 boxes.

      Do you think that members of this group could generate a donation drive in your local area to purchase at least one "Shelter Box" per church; company; public school; or social group in your area?

      For example if 250 people gave $4 each that would buy one shelter box at $1,000 per box (which includes a one 10 person tent).

      As you all know we here in the US spend more than that when we buy a pack of cigarettes, a cup of brand named coffee or even 12 pack of soda.

      One thing I am planning to do in my area is to contact the superintendents of the public schools in each city; to see if they could do the
      same.

      Imagine if every public school were to raise one thousand dollars.

      In my city alone there are about 70 public schools (elementary; middle; & high schools).

      Even if some of the smaller schools combined their donations that still would total a minimum of 20 to 30 Shelter Boxes.

      The major news organizations have already left Haiti and each day there is less and less news about what is happening on the grown.

      We in the US have a short term memory; for example Hurricane Katrina and the victims of New Orleans, LA and surrounding areas.

      Thank you.
      David W.

      Each container box has the following:

      One ten-person tent, including two fabric interior privacy partitions, outer fly-sheet and repair kit. These tents are considered `winter suitable' by international relief standards.
      • Vinyl insulated sleeping mats and lightweight thermal blankets. More compact than sleeping bags, these mats and blankets have multiple uses. The blanket can also be fashioned to catch water, as a tarp, while the mat also serves as a ground `table' for meals, or tent rugs.
      • One pack of 180 water purification tablets or a water purification kit; and one 5 gallon flat-pack water container (Each tablet will purify a full container of water providing 1,800 gallons of clean drinking water which should be sufficient for a family of ten for up to three months).
      • Two 2.1 gallon, collapsible, plastic water carriers.
      • One collapsible trenching shovel
      • Rope, 164 foot
      • Repellant-treated mosquito netting
      • Ten PVC Ponchos/ ten heavy duty plastic bags
      • Tool kit in canvas bag: hatchet, jack-knife, screwdriver, hammer, hoe head.
      • Multi-fueled cook stove
      • Eating utensils: plates and cups
      • Children's activity kit-simple school supplies, stickers and coloring book.