My recent trip to the optometrist

  • rosanna_armendariz
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
      So, I went to the eye doctor the other day, and the technician was filling out some paperwork and asked, "Are you Hispanic, White, or...?" I said, "I'm multiethnic." She looked confused and said, "What does that mean?" I told her to check "Other." I guess she did and didn't say anything else. Then I went to the other room to see the doctor and she said, "Are you Puerto Rican?" I said, "No." She said, "Are you sure because you really look it." I said, "I'm sure." She looked confused and dropped the subject.

      So, I left the doctor w/my updated prescription for contact lenses, but I really wish people could get glasses that would help them see me as a human being rather than a puzzle that needs to be solved.
    • Queen Blues
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
        Are you sure? :) Those special human vision glasses sound like a great idea Rosanna. I was at the mall the other day, with all the sales people asking me the same question "Where are you from?" and I would answer back with "California". After I realized how repetitive it was getting, I had to watch my inner child --- she was so wanting to say "My mama! Where are you from ----" (sigh)

        In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
        "rosanna_armendariz" <rosanna_armendariz@...> wrote:

        So, I went to the eye doctor the other day, and the technician was filling out some paperwork and asked, "Are you Hispanic, White, or...?" I said, "I'm multiethnic." She looked confused and said, "What does that mean?" I told her to check "Other." I guess she did and didn't say anything else. Then I went to the other room to see the doctor and she said, "Are you Puerto Rican?" I said, "No." She said, "Are you sure because you really look it." I said, "I'm sure." She looked confused and dropped the subject.

        So, I left the doctor w/my updated prescription for contact lenses, but I really wish people could get glasses that would help them see me as a human being rather than a puzzle that needs to be solved.
      • Sundee Frazier
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
          I also like the idea of human vision glasses, Rosanna! I had an interesting experience at the optometrist recently, as well, where race played into the discussion and a possible diagnosis of glaucoma.

          I didn't know this before, but it turns out African-Americans colorhave a higher rate of glaucoma because of the shape of the socket that holds the optic nerve (glaucoma is a problem where a lack of drainage of fluids creates pressure in the eye disrupting the function of the optic nerve). Anyway, I had taken a test that showed a likely glaucoma diagnosis, but the optometrist was clearly confused why I (who am on the younger side--for glaucoma--and don't look obviously black) would have this problem. As she listed the risk factors, I was able to clear up for her that I am in fact African-American color on one side of my family.

          To see my blackness you have to look deep inside me (or my eyes), literally!

          Sundee Frazier

          Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It (Delacorte/Random House 2007)
          Winner, Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Talent Award (American Librarian Association)
          The Other Half of My Heart (coming June 2010)

        • rosanna_armendariz
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
            Thanks for sharing, Sundee. I hope all is well with your eyes! And it is indeed unfortunate that a so-called medical professional wouldn't consider the possibility that you might have African-American ancestry. It is no wonder that people are so often misdiagnosed or told nothing is wrong with them and sent home, only to get worse, or in some very unfortunate cases, die from lack of treatment. Ugh! Hopefully those human vision glasses will be available soon.

            Sundee Frazier <sundeefrazier@...> wrote:

            I also like the idea of human vision glasses, Rosanna! I had an interesting experience at the optometrist recently, as well, where race played into the discussion and a possible diagnosis of glaucoma.

            I didn't know this before, but it turns out African-Americans have a higher rate of glaucoma because of the shape of the socket that holds the optic nerve (glaucoma is a problem where a lack of drainage of fluids creates pressure in the eye disrupting the function of the optic nerve). Anyway, I had taken a test that showed a likely glaucoma diagnosis, but the optometrist was clearly confused why I (who am on the younger side--for glaucoma--and don't look obviously black) would have this problem. As she listed the risk factors, I was able to clear up for her that I am in fact African-American on one side of my family.

            www.sundeefrazier.com

            http://www.hungermtn.org/the-other-half-of-my-heart/

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2009
                Wow. Before now I really hadn't thought about how being mixed might lead to medical misdiagnosis and other doctor-patient miscommunications and problems obtaining medical care. It really is discouraging to think about.

                (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Al5eeK2CFwcv4rD5U5qzvEfty6IX?qid=20070527201834AAIhzhM&show=7#profile-info-CiC2JY9Maa)

                www.sundeefrazier.www_ (http://www.sundeefrazier.com/)

                http://www.hungermthttp://wwwhttp://www.http://www.h_
                http://www.hungermtn.org/the-other-half-of-my-heart/)