Collecting Stories: US veterans who served in the Caribbean

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello Friends,

      This book project sounds interesting so I am passing the info along...its a book of memories and stories from US vets who served in the Caribbean  The book seems to be offering a variety of perspectives, and show cultural exchanges... I wanna read it when it comes out <grin>

      Blessings, Lynn

      _______________

      We welcome your advice/assistance with regards inviting American
      contributions to our latest research.

      We are currently seeking American contributions to add to reminiscences of
      the Caribbean 1937-1948. The initial objectives for the material we are
      gathering are a book and online resource for schools and colleges. [NB. we
      have researched archive sources to provide us with a strong understanding of
      this history.

      We welcome any advice or assistance in helping us to contact US veterans who
      served in the Caribbean, such as the 'Dixie Division' and the African
      American 99th anti-aircraft Artillery.

      Contributions to date have come from all perspectives - servicemen, wartime
      civilians (Aruba, Barbados, Cura çao, Jamaica, St. Lucia, Trinidad) , U-Boat
      Officers, merchant sailors....

      Our search for reminiscences is all about providing Educators and Learners
      with as broad and diverse a perspective as possible: We want to gain an
      impression of the war at sea, we are also gathering memories of the West
      Indies as bases of operations; what impressions their civilian populations
      made; how the islands provided for torpedoed merchant seamen; memories of
      shore-leave...

      We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

      Best wishes

      Tony T
      Rebecca Goldstone

      Sweet Patootee Ltd