R.E. Keyshia Cole

  • Heather
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2009
      Talk about SHOCKED=0 I did not know that Keyshia was adopted OR that her
      biological mother is caucasian=0 I know, when I used to watch her show
      (cannot recall the name?), Frankie (who they always referred to as her
      mother), Keyshia's sister (I believe) and Keyshia went to [visit] a
      prison for women (I think that's what it was), to talk about Keyshia's
      life and some of the problems she's had. She did say Frankie was
      hooked on drugs real bad and Keyshia couldn't be around her.
      I thought, maybe, she was with a relative or something.

      I, too, was adopted... abandoned a few days after birth, and put
      up for adoption when I was 6, or so, months old. I stayed with a
      so-called friend of my biological mothers the entire time. I was
      told later, by my adoptive mother, that the "friend" wanted to
      adopt me but didn't think they could afford it (they had other
      children). When I was in my early 20's, I searched for and found
      (with the help of a dear relative / attorney who handled my adoption)
      my biological mother and various, other bio. relatives. I, too, found
      out my b. mother was / still is mentally unstable (severely so)
      and has been in and out of abusive relationships her whole live.
      So... I can totally understand what Keyshia and her sibling/s
      must've gone through. Those scars last many, many years.

      I love her and her music so much, anyway. What she's been
      through just makes me respect and like her even more=)
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2009

        Actually -- it is
        Keyshia Cole's biological-dad /
        birth-dad (now deceased) who was Caucasian.

        Her adoptive-mother is named, Yvonne Cole, and
        her biological/birth mother is named 'Frankie Lons'
        -- and both her adoptive & birth mothers are Black.

        Thanks for commenting :D

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2009
          I meant to type DAD=0 You must think I'm crazy by now;)
          I get it! I only really knew about Frankie, so not too sure about
          everyone else. It is sad what she went through, though, growing up.
          I'm all too familiar with the adoption aspect of it, too.
          I'm an adoptee, and being such... you already have identity
          issues, and it's just that much worse when you grow up
          in a dysfunctional/or unstable family environment.
          She seems like she's been through her share of bad, but
          ... she is a very strong, talented and intelligent woman.
          She's definitely my role model;)

          In Generation-Mixed@...,

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2009

            No -- not at all Heather, LOL. :D

            In fact --  I think you are one of the most 'sane'  ; )
            (& clearly very intelligent) people that I have ever met.

            The only reason that I noted the 'clarification' was
            because I wasn't sure if the way it was presented
            in the posting was very clear (on first glance).

            Have a great day,

            -- AP

            In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
            "Heather" <heather21230@...> wrote:

[...]