Re: Ethnicity & Chronic Illnesses

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 20, 2005
      It's funny that you specifically mentioned 'astigmatism', Tonya
      ----- because a woman wrote an essay about her lineage and
      noted that she first decided to look into her family tree when
      her eye doctor casually inquired as to if she was related
      to any of a specific number of Amerindian tribes and then
      went on to explain that both the form and progress of
      her astigmatism was very common to many Amerindian tribes.

      When she researched her lineage, she discovered
      that her doctor's suspicion was right and that
      she was actually of part-Amerindian lineage.

      Another person wrote of how after trying to figure out why
      their mother had been diagnosed at a very young age with a
      type of 'arthritis' and why this person and their siblings
      were diagnosed with an 'arthritic' type of disease called 'lupus'
      --- a genetic test to find out what was going on in their family
      revealed that the 'lupus' and other 'arthritic conditions' in their
      family were very common to people who were of an Amerindian heritage.
      And a view into their family tree revealed their Amerindian lineage.

      In both cases, the people never knew of nor suspected that
      they had any Amerindian bloodlines in their not too distant past
      until a medical diagnosis pointed to a need for them to look
      into their family tree -- which revealed their full lineage.

      After reading about this, it seemed interesting to me that even
      when a person's 'physical appearance' doesn't always fully reflect
      the entirety of their ancestry -- their 'physical condition' may
      still reveal the many 'tracks found within their bloodlines'.

      Have a great day!! :)

      "Tonya" <latonyabeatty76@y...> wrote:

      Thanks for posting this important information.

      Over a year ago, my eye doctor told me that I have astigmatism.
      I was shocked. I didn't know that this was common in American Indians.
      American Indians also have a dark pigmintation on
      the inside of the eye. I forgot what it is called.
      I will have to try and dig up the info.

      Tonya

      "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      There are many people who have written of
      discovering that they were actually of
      'multi'-racial (i.e. "mixed") lineage
      --- rather than of 'mono'-racial lineage,
      as they had always previously assumed ---
      after finding themselves diagnosed with
      a chronic disorder such as 'astigmatism'
      or a chronic illness such as 'arthritis'.

      "multiracialbookclub" <soaptalk@h...> wrote:

      Connections Ethnicity may have to certain Chronic Illnesses

      Astigmatism / Vision Disorders
      http://www.journalofvision.org/3/12/18/
      http://www.azstarnet.com/links/eyedocs.htm
      http://www.ahsc.arizona.edu/opa/ahsnews/jan01/news.htm

      Diabetes
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mixedbloodnatives/message/14173

      Lupus / Arthritis
      http://lupus.omrf.org/NNALP.htm
      http://lupus.omrf.org/Minpops.htm
      http://www.uthouston.edu/distinctions/archive/2003/june/genetics.html

      Asthma
      http://www.indianz.com/News/2004/000744.asp
    • Pamela ZAHM
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 20, 2005
        Hello...I ,too, was diagnosed with astigmatism. I am of Indian descent. Thanks for the interseting articles....Pamela

        http://mail.yahoo.com