Re: Colorism & Racism in Mexican Culture

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2009
      Yes, I think a lot of people who are not around the Mexican culture
      are surprised to hear about the amount of racism and colorism. I
      think since Mexicans are a "minority" and many are dark-skinned,
      people assume they must feel an affinity towards African-Americans--
      this is often not the case, to say the least. And I hear you about
      the Polish. Historically, many anglos didn't even consider the
      slavic people to be White. So, it's kind of funny about MIL
      idealizing this part of my ancestry. Oh well. Ignorance abounds.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com, wintyreeve@... wrote:

      Thanks for sharing Rosanna... I'm sorry to hear things are like
      that. Then again, I would have never known if you did not share your
      experiences. I think its such a blessing to have this group to not
      only support each other but to give each other different
      perspectives, and the opportunity to see more of life.

      I am Polish too. Only my family has dark hair and almost olive
      complexion. LOL* Not that it matters! You know Hitler thought the
      Poles were inferior, and targeted them. He sent Polish children off
      to live with other families, and openly criticized Slavic people.
      Many Poles were sent to concentration camps for various "crimes".

      In the end, its not color that matters--its the condition of our
      hearts, and how we treat others.

      Peace, Lynn