Phylicia & Debbie Allen ... Biracial?

  • Tyrone Anderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2009

      full-blooded Cherokee dentist Dr. Andrew Arthur Allen

      I never heard this before,
      I never heard it talked about.

      I saw a tv profile done on Phylicia Rashad-Allen some years ago and their father (who she called The Sunshine) reminded me of older pictures of Langston Hughes or Thurgood Marshall.  I thought he was biracial or 'generational mixed.

      The daughter of full-blooded Cherokee dentist Dr. Andrew Arthur Allen and African-American Pulitzer Prize-nominated poet/playwright Dr. Vivian Elizabeth Ayers, Phylicia Ayers-Allen was born on June 19, 1948, in Houston, Texas. The second of three children, Phylicia has one older brother named Andrew Arthur Allen Jr. (born on October 2, 1945), and a younger sister named Debbie Allen (born on January 16, 1950), the Emmy-winning actress-dancer-choreographer of "Fame" (NBC, 1981-87). Phylicia also has another brother, Hugh Allen, who is a real estate banker in North Carolina.

      Phylicia Rashad

      Rashad's mother, Vivian Ayers Allen, left
      brother Tex Allen (saxophonist)
      Tex Allen at home, at his Yamaha baby grand

       Phylicia Ayers-Allen was born on June 19, 1948, in Houston, Texas. The second of three children, Phylicia has one older brother named Andrew Arthur Allen Jr. (born on October 2, 1945), and a younger sister named Debbie Allen (born on January 16, 1950), the Emmy-winning actress-dancer-choreographer of "Fame" (NBC, 1981-87). Phylicia also has another brother, Hugh Allen, who is a real estate banker in North Carolina.

      It was a family affair! Houston's three-time Emmy Award-winning choreographer, Debbie Allen, her sister Tony Award-winner, Phylicia Rashad, and their mother Pulitzer Prize-nominated writer, Vivian Ayers-Allen, gathered to celebrate Vivian Nixon, Allen's daughter, who starred as "Anita" in Theatre Under The Stars' production of West Side Story at the Hobby Center. Photo by Bruce Bennett.

      Mother & Daughter,Vivian Ayers & Debbie Allen
    • sinisterskin27
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 22 1:38 PM
        Wow, I never knew that she was biracial,.