Re: Martin Luther King, Barack Obama, and History.

  • Rosanna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
      While I recognize that this is a historic moment, frankly I'm more
      concerned about the economy, healthcare, education, and a host of
      other challenges facing our nation. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me what color or ethnicity Obama is, as long as he gets the job done. And if he doesn't get the job done (if things are even worse in 4 yrs), then I think he will need to get the boot, regardless of his race or the "historical relevance" of his presidency. Historical relevance isn't going to pay my medical bills or help my son get a quality education.

      In Generation-Mixed@yahoogroups.com,
      "lovingdayproject" <groups@...> wrote:

      The Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday
      holds a special place in my heart.

      I have always truly admired Dr. King and his vision.

      I still get goose bumps when I listen to his speeches.

      The holiday itself was a major inspiration
      for me when I created Loving Day.

      But this MLK holiday is unlike any before it.

      Just 41 years after Dr. King's tragic assassination, Barack
      Obama will be inaugurated into the nation's highest office.

      We are witnessing real progress and history in the making.

      I find myself at a loss for words.

      Fortunately, Jay-Z was quite eloquent when he said:

      ""Rosa Parks sat, so that Martin Luther King could walk.
      Martin Luther King walked, so that Barack Obama could run.
      Obama ran, so We could fly.""

      I love the way this quote combines the force of history,
      the excitement of the present, and optimism for the future.

      To me, that's what these two days are about.

      It's also what Loving Day is about.

      Sometimes history falls perfectly into place.

      It's perfect that this inauguration
      is the day after the MLK holiday.

      It's also perfect that the couple that legalized
      interracial relationships had "Loving" as their last name.

      I hope you'll join me in using these perfect
      moments to reflect on your rights, and to
      inspire positive change in your daily life.

      Sincerely,

      Ken Tanabe
      Founder/President, Loving Day
      http://www.lovingday.org

      It's fun and easy to host your own Loving Day
      Celebration with our free Celebration Kit (PDF):

      http://www.lovingday.org/files/documents/loving_day_kit_2007_01.pdf
    • pierre jefferson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009

        Yes Obama is black color and has become our first black color President. But it will take more than his ethnicity to tackle these horrendous problems that lay before him. The economy is on a head on collision with certain disaster if its not derailed or given a safe detour I also heard the shocking news that the State of California is nearly bankrupt, welfare checks put on hold among other big money flows that's draining the states treasury. One can only imagine the fury and anger of millions of welfare recipients finding other ways to put food on their tables. Certainly it could prove to be a ugly scene with desperate people doing what they got to do to survive.
        I agree i wouldn't care if a purple President was our commander and chief, if he can get the job done and bring hope again to this Nation? I say lets stand behind him also.

        No Obama is not a miraculous messiah that will fix everything with out any difficulty. He is just a man with high ideals that carry a great price. Hopefully we as a nation wont have to bow our heads in defeat. So lets give Obama a chance to make a "Change" and set this country on a new course that will bring happiness and prosperity to many who have lost this vision. But we all must work together to ensure that Obamas promise comes to pass.

        And your son also will have a brighter future and the security of knowing he lives in the USA.

        Pierre

        :