Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Poem - What Am I

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
      Thankyou Amariewil for you comment about my poem.
      Yes your right! your 5 year old son must have a melting pot
      of mixture witrh in him. Hopefully this poem- What Am I
      will make him realize the gift of muli-colors that truly is
      the living proof of Gods rainbow. When he grows older
      and able to read this poem` I,m sure the world will be
      far more comfortable with multi-colored people, and see
      the absolute beauty and wonder of its reality.

      You are welcomed,

      Pierre

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
        I think you should read the poem to your son now. Five is plenty
        old enough to grasp what Pierre is talking about. I have a 4 month
        old son and I'm already reading to him and showing him educational
        videos. You have to start developing their minds young!

        Oh, and btw, my son is also very multiethnic. I'm Jamaican,
        Ecuadorian, and Polish, and my husband is Mexican-American.
        Much to the delight of some of my husband's colorist self-hating
        family members, my little boy looks White. He has blue-green
        eyes, fair skin, and reddish brown hair. My MIL constantly
        comments on his eyes, skin, and hair. She has also repeatedly
        expressed her hope that he grows to over 6 feet tall.
        She, like many Mexicans, is extremely short. She claims to
        be 5 feet, but I am actually 5 feet and I tower over her.
        So, I think she associates tallness w/Whiteness.
        Once, in response, to her commentary about my son's
        height, I said, sarcastically, "Yeah, who needs another
        short stubby Mexican." She didn't appear to pick
        up on my sarcasm. The whole thing is so bizarre.

[...]

      • Denise Baker
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2009
          Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Poem - What Am I Pierre,
          Just a side note to thank you for all of your insight...your experiences have helped me clarify some of my ongoing confusion, including that surrounding my son’s uncertainty)...I appreciate your efforts – they do not go unnoticed.
          Sincerely,
          Denise
          Ps. Kudos to your delivery method!  You have a very non-offending, all encompassing pen and that speaks volumes...

          In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01g.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com> ,

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2009
            Denise,

            Glad to be of help to you in the midst of confusion concerning
            your son,s place in a race conscious world. For he has inherited
            far more hurdles to cross than non mixed children. But the good
            news is that he has been born into a generation that is more
            excepting of interracial relationships! there fore interracial children
            will also benefit hopefully from this increasing awareness and
            understanding of mix race unions. You can give him everything
            as a mother, but eventually he will have to experience the world
            experiencing him where ever he goes with out you by his side.
            This should strengthen him and equip him for this uncertainty
            that awaits him. But your love will be where ever he is, and his
            love will be where ever you are as well. And when he becomes
            a adult he will surely know the richness of his being to the fullest.

            Thankyou again! I do not want to offend anyone reading the trails
            of expression created by my pen, for we all hold sensitivites that
            can be injured or healed by certain words. Choosing these words
            sometimes presents a challenge to prevent a eruption of emotions
            that feel attacked by the usage of certain words. Words can be
            like bricks or like gentle hands floating above the depth of the water.

            Pierre