Poem - What Am I

  • pierre jefferson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2009

                          What Am I

      You call me Greek
      I guess I can claim that too
      with olive skin and eyes of blue,

      You call me Latin
      and this I can surely believe
      for my hair is like silk with no need of a weave,

      You call me Indian
      for I have heard this said
      with high cheek bones and satin skin of red,

      You call me Arabian
      now I know what you see
      a mysterious image with a pecan colored reality,

      You call me Hawaiian
      to this image also I agree
      a chestnut complexion in a grass skirt blowing free,

      You call me Asian
      even to this I can believe to be true
      with almond shaped eyes and skin with a yellow hue,

      You call me Mulatto
      for I see this like stars in the night
      a shining glow of color created between black and white,

      You call me what you will
      for what ever I am will always be True,

      A multi-colored rainbow
      that GOD Himself decided to pursue,

      Showing the human race
      all the great wonders that He could do.

      So no matter how different we all may be!
      for when we look upon each other
      it�s GOD that you SEE.

      Pierre Andre � 2009
      All Rights Reserved

    • amariewil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
        This is absolutely BEAUTIFUL....I will be saving it for my son,
        because it sounds so much like him!! (He is black, mexican,
        norweigan, german, native american, and the list goes on....
        light tan skin, straight/fine dark brown hair, hazel eyes,
        and is often thought to be part filipino/perisan/you-name-it)
        He is only 5 yrs now, but one day I'm sure he will appreciate
        reading this, and will be able to relate. THANK YOU for sharing.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2009
          Thankyou Amariewil for you comment about my poem.
          Yes your right! your 5 year old son must have a melting pot
          of mixture witrh in him. Hopefully this poem- What Am I
          will make him realize the gift of muli-colors that truly is
          the living proof of Gods rainbow. When he grows older
          and able to read this poem` I,m sure the world will be
          far more comfortable with multi-colored people, and see
          the absolute beauty and wonder of its reality.

          You are welcomed,

          Pierre

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2009
            I think you should read the poem to your son now. Five is plenty
            old enough to grasp what Pierre is talking about. I have a 4 month
            old son and I'm already reading to him and showing him educational
            videos. You have to start developing their minds young!

            Oh, and btw, my son is also very multiethnic. I'm Jamaican,
            Ecuadorian, and Polish, and my husband is Mexican-American.
            Much to the delight of some of my husband's colorist self-hating
            family members, my little boy looks White. He has blue-green
            eyes, fair skin, and reddish brown hair. My MIL constantly
            comments on his eyes, skin, and hair. She has also repeatedly
            expressed her hope that he grows to over 6 feet tall.
            She, like many Mexicans, is extremely short. She claims to
            be 5 feet, but I am actually 5 feet and I tower over her.
            So, I think she associates tallness w/Whiteness.
            Once, in response, to her commentary about my son's
            height, I said, sarcastically, "Yeah, who needs another
            short stubby Mexican." She didn't appear to pick
            up on my sarcasm. The whole thing is so bizarre.

[...]

          • Denise Baker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2009
              Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Poem - What Am I Pierre,
              Just a side note to thank you for all of your insight...your experiences have helped me clarify some of my ongoing confusion, including that surrounding my son’s uncertainty)...I appreciate your efforts – they do not go unnoticed.
              Sincerely,
              Denise
              Ps. Kudos to your delivery method!  You have a very non-offending, all encompassing pen and that speaks volumes...

              In Generation-Mixed@ yahoogroups. com <http://us.mc01g.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=Generation-Mixed%40yahoogroups.com> ,

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2009
                Denise,

                Glad to be of help to you in the midst of confusion concerning
                your son,s place in a race conscious world. For he has inherited
                far more hurdles to cross than non mixed children. But the good
                news is that he has been born into a generation that is more
                excepting of interracial relationships! there fore interracial children
                will also benefit hopefully from this increasing awareness and
                understanding of mix race unions. You can give him everything
                as a mother, but eventually he will have to experience the world
                experiencing him where ever he goes with out you by his side.
                This should strengthen him and equip him for this uncertainty
                that awaits him. But your love will be where ever he is, and his
                love will be where ever you are as well. And when he becomes
                a adult he will surely know the richness of his being to the fullest.

                Thankyou again! I do not want to offend anyone reading the trails
                of expression created by my pen, for we all hold sensitivites that
                can be injured or healed by certain words. Choosing these words
                sometimes presents a challenge to prevent a eruption of emotions
                that feel attacked by the usage of certain words. Words can be
                like bricks or like gentle hands floating above the depth of the water.