A quick note on terminologies

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2009

      In regards to the term `African-American' (AA),
      I just wanted to note we may all want to try to
      remember that this term is actually a reference
      to a very specific 'Ethnic' group and that (contrary
      to popular misconception) it is *not* a term that
      is synonymous with that of `Black American' (BA)
      -- which is a term used to describe a 'Race' group.

      We also may want to remember that there are many
      cases of people who are "full" African-Americans (i.e.
      they were born to two (2) parents who are both of the
      African-American Ethnic group) and yet they are still
      very much Mixed-Race (and that this is generally a result
      of their families having both become and also remaining
      continually racially-admixed throughout their generations).

      That's it.
      Have a great day -- all ! :D

    • Rosanna
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 14, 2009
        Yes, the African-American ethnic group does indeed
        include people from varied racial backgrounds.
        However, this is not something that the majority
        of Americans are aware of, or care to be aware of.