Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day

  • Denise Baker
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2009
      Re: [Generation-Mixed] Re: Obama and Loving Day Terms of endearment are meant to be endearing, not demeaning...& generalizations are what so many of us try so hard to break away from...some words are used in a very cavalier manner, but many are microscopically scrutinized, esp Barack’s words, as he is the leader of the new world now & represents this position as a biracial being...With that said, think of a name that you would not want to be called and substitute it for ‘mutt’ - see if your response is the same...Name calling is just wrong & it hurts – its also an indication of a deeper issue...remember ‘hurt people, hurt people’...
      Take care,
      Denise
      PS, M “negro’ is not an antiquated term & if that term were substituted for ‘mutt’, there would have been more than just a multiracial social group chattin about it...

      On 1/11/09 11:06 PM, "maxisterl@..." <maxisterl@...> wrote:

      Ppl r comfortable w calling themselves mules
      (mulatto / mulatta) even n this day n age.
      I feel it is an antiquated term like
      negro but this is just my opinion ...